CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Big Gecko servo question!!

Posted by Ray Henry
on 2002-07-05 07:51:12 UTC
Mark

I've got nothing against the Gecko. It will handle a bit more than 2hp. And
is a great little performer but with a machine like this I'd use the existing
axis drive amps if they are alive. If not, I'd purchase a set of inexpensive
Copley or equivalent amps and use full PC based servo control with something
like the PPAC boards that Jon E mentioned or the STG or Vigilant, or Studio
Ferraris ISA boards. This solution will require that you figure out what all
the components in the back cabinets

Someone will no doubt jump on the notion that ISA slots are disappearing in
commercial PC's. This may be true but the recent embedded conference in
Chicago proved to me that ISA and RS 232 serial ports and alive and well in
industrial PC's and they will be for a long time yet. This is definitely an
industrial machine.

With all of the space in the computer, electrical, and operator cabinets you
should not have any problem fitting an ISA based solution in there. If you
chose the EMC as your controller, it would be easy to fit several PC's in
there and dedicate one to motion, one to I/O, and one to the graphical and
hard wired control panel.

HTH

Ray

>    From: "markpowerplus" <mabw@...>
> Subject: Big Gecko servo question!!
>
> Morning all,
> Yesterday I was given the opportunity to obtain a Mitsui Seiki 4 axis
> machine centre for $500.00, was $300,000 new! It has a dead Fanuc
> controller and has some humungous sevo motors with tachometers to
> drive the axis'. Now what would one do to get it going I ask? If the
> motors are rated within the Gecko servo specs( don't laugh it's just
> a question)( it's just they are so small and the machine is so big )
> could they replace the complete Fanuc control,with appropriate power
> supply, one has to remember this is a very big machine. So what would
> one do? Mariss can you give me any idea?
> Sorry at the moment I do not have the literature supplied with the
> machine but hope to have some specs from it soon.
> thanks
> Mark

Discussion Thread

markpowerplus 2002-07-04 13:54:53 UTC Big Gecko servo question!! Jon Elson 2002-07-04 22:37:33 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Big Gecko servo question!! Ray Henry 2002-07-05 07:51:12 UTC Re: Big Gecko servo question!!