CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Newbie question about DFX vs. STL

Posted by imserv1
on 2002-07-08 10:02:40 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., "exeric1" <exeric1@y...> wrote:
> I'm just learning about this stuff and I understand that DFX files
> are used mainly for 2D drawings and STL for 3D. What exactly is the
> difference? I'm trying to read between the lines (metaphorically)
and
> am beginning to believe that DFX is used in traditional programs
like
> Autocad and the like.

It's DXF not DFX. It stands for Drawing eXchange Format. Autodesk,
the manufacturers of Autocad, devised and controls the format. It
has many different entities that can be defined, including basic wire
frame entities like lines arcs, splines, ellipses, dimensions,
annotation and the like. One of the entity forms is interchangable
with the single entity that is supported by an STL file, the
triangular faceted surface. It is very simple to convert an STL file
into a DXF file consisting of these entities. It is not possible to
convert all the contents of a DXF file into STL, as only one entity
type is in an STL file.

Many of the 3D file formats utilize very similar triangulated surface
data forms. 3Ds, vrml, etc.

Best Regards,

Fred Smith
IMService

Discussion Thread

exeric1 2002-07-08 07:15:32 UTC Newbie question about DFX vs. STL imserv1 2002-07-08 10:02:40 UTC Re: Newbie question about DFX vs. STL Bill Vance 2002-07-08 11:24:48 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Newbie question about DFX vs. STL imserv1 2002-07-08 15:42:34 UTC Re: Newbie question about DFX vs. STL