CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Steppers versus Servos

on 2000-01-19 03:04:27 UTC
Okay,

Ron wrote "Re: Digest Number 315" :

>I think this servo vs steppers is getting a bit nuts-

It sounds like people are getting tired of this. I am sorry if I have caused
such trouble.

Bob wrote:
> I sell large cnc routers for Machine Automation (www.multicam.com) and most
>of them use stepper motors and do not loose steps.

Well, I have lost some "bookmark" files, and will not do a new search on
stepper systems, - but :

My inputs have been more of a "DIY" - and ideas. In any commercial
system, a lot of engineering has been conducted. And as Ron said:
" If the motor is run within its design limits, it does NOT loose steps.
PERIOD. "

I will not argue, but a lot of these commercial systems, have some real
fancy drives. If you buy the "right" stuff, do good engineering, - then most
of what I have said - is a waste of time and effort.

But some of the "stuff" I brought up, might once in a while open up some new
tips & tricks. And sometimes you have to state "stupid" questions. In fact
refrasing a question, - is often the key to any new development.

I will rest the "stepper" case for now.

//ARNE

Discussion Thread

Arne Chr. Jorgensen 2000-01-19 03:04:27 UTC Steppers versus Servos Les Watts 2000-01-19 07:03:56 UTC Re: Steppers versus Servos PTENGIN@a... 2000-01-19 09:27:31 UTC Re: Steppers versus Servos Les Watts 2000-01-19 11:32:42 UTC Re: Steppers versus Servos