CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Linux possibly repeat question

Posted by Ray Henry
on 2000-01-19 07:06:56 UTC
Murray

I run RH5.2 on a pr300 cyrix and it was a pain to set up. The first time
it took a day or so and a couple of good books from ORiley. I've lived
with it a while now and really appreciate some of the functions -- like
my-fault crash recovery -- real multiuser and multitask.

I run linux because of EMC and motion control and find the rt patch gives
very solid and very predictible results that I can scope out down to a
consistent jiffy for an entire process. (10ms)

Yes, If I read the hype right, VMware will let you run both at the same
time. I understand there was some kind of small problem with rt and emc
when you run them with VMware. I use dual boot with old win95 cause some
of my software is win only. The dual boot is a single hard drive with win
set up first. Under VMware I'd be able to mouse click between. The way my
box works now I shutdown one and boot the other.

To me, VMware seems like one more layer through which each computational
bit has to pass to get where it's going. If I needed both, I'd buy a 300
dollar box and run em separate.

Linux does require some thought. If you're setting up a box for the
receptionist to type letters and keep track of the bills -- use win or wait
for linux corel office. Or get that person a couple of good books from
ORiley. :-)

Ray -- I'm not a book rep.

> Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 02:37:48 -0500
> From: "Multi-Volti Devices" <multi-volti@...>
>Subject: Linux possibly repeat question
>
>Hello:
>
>I am sick of Windows 98 cannibalizing itself everytime I add software of
>hardware.
>
>I attempted installing RH Linux 5.2 Deluxe on an old PC and got hung up in
>the complexity and put the project aside.
>
>Meanwhile, I picked up RH Linux 6.1 (Standard) and a 20 GB hard drive. I was
>thinking about putting Linux on one drive and leaving my W98 drive alone. I
>have heard dual OS is easier to install than remove without affecting the
>remaining W98.
>
>I heard a Red Hat executive interviewed on NPR a few days ago, and in
>response to a caller inquiring about running both Linux and Windows, he
>mentioned VMWare. They make "virtual machine" software (I don't know, is
>this technically an OS, or something altogether different?) that you select
>to run on your primary OS, either Windows or Linux. The secondary OS then is
>launched and controlled by the Virtual Machine. They say Windows runs much
>more stably.
>
>Anyone familiar with the VMWare concept and what the advantage is over a
>'dual boot' system?
>
>Also, what's the consensus on Linux difficulty of installation? I hear it
>can be a pain in the neck. I'm willing to blame my previous aborted
>installation on the PC having old hardware components. I've read that the
>latest RH edition has a more graphical, "friendlier" installer.
>
>Are those of you running Linux doing so because of a natural technical
>inclination that lead you there, or does it offer better (fewer time lags
>and inconsistencies) control of I/O? I have heard running high level
>languages under Windows to control output devices offes poor control
>(unpredictable interrupts?)

Discussion Thread

Multi-Volti Devices 2000-01-18 23:37:48 UTC Linux possibly repeat question Ray Henry 2000-01-19 07:06:56 UTC Re: Linux possibly repeat question