CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Steppermod vs freqmod

Tim & Heather Smith wrote:

> Hi people,
>
> Would someone mind explaining the practical differences between Steppermod &
> Freqmod when running stepper motors via step/direction.
>
> I have both versions (bdi install) setup on my mill and I can't really
> notice any difference in performance.
> What is the advantage of one over the other. I understand that freqmod uses
> more PC resourses.

At lower speeds, with a fast CPU, and tolerand stepper drives, there is not
much difference. At higher speeds, with a mid-speed CPU, or with stepper
drives that don't like ragged step pulses, then freqmod will give MUCH
smoother step pulse trains. This allows you to make the machine move
faster before it starts losing steps.

If you don't need it, freqmod eats up a lot more CPU cycles.

Tim & Heather Smith 2002-07-17 02:07:43 UTC Steppermod vs freqmod Jon Elson 2002-07-17 10:19:37 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Steppermod vs freqmod Ray Henry 2002-07-17 11:59:58 UTC Re: Steppermod vs freqmod