CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Sv: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Laser Project

"J. J. Larsen" wrote:

> Hi All.
>
> How big (Watts) must a CO2 laser be, if I want to cut 20 mm sheet of PVC ?
> Speed isn't a big issue, but let's say at 10 mm/sec (24in/min).

20 mm PVC is pretty thick! I would think something in the 50 W range would
be able to do it, if you can cut PVC of that thickness at all with a laser. The
problem would be fouling of the cut with debris. It might be necessary to
make the cut in several passes. Finely focussed air jets migh be helpful in
keeping the cut from clogging.

I saw a rig a guy had to cut ~5 mm acrylic at quite good speeds, probably
twice your 10 mm/sec, and it was about a 20 W CO2 laser, I believe.

Jon Elson 2002-07-25 11:13:02 UTC Re: Sv: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Laser Project