CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Clockwise and Anticlockwise

jbordens wrote:

> OK, this is a REALLY stupid question, but I have to ask. ;)
>
> I'm testing the encoders on my Geckodrive setup following the
> Geckodrive instructions.
>
> They say that for every step clockwise of the command position, the
> voltage goes down .04 volts, and every step counter clockwise of the
> command position the voltage goes up .04
>
> However, my setup behaves the opposite. Exactly opposite.
>
> So my question: what perspective am I supposed to be determining
> clockwise and anticlockwise? :)

None of this really matters. The only thing that matters is that the
machine moves the right direction when commanded by the software.
If you want to reverse the clockwise/counter-clockwise polarity of
the encoder, just reverse the A and B phase wires into the Gecko, and
the direction sensing will be reversed. If the motor is under proper
servo control, reverse the motor wires, also. If the motor is going
into runaway, then DON'T reverse the wires, as reversing the encoder
sense should fix it.

> If I look at the motor spindle head on, the scope shows that things
> are behaving exactly opposite. However, if I look at the motor from
> the back, at the encoder, things are correct.
>
> Since everything is connected properly, I assume its just a problem
> with how I'm looking at things. :)

All encoders and motors can be assumed to have arbitrary phasing,
unless you've used those exact models together before. So, you should
always expect to have to establish the correct phase (direction) of the
encoders and motors on a new installation.

jbordens 2002-07-30 07:56:47 UTC Clockwise and Anticlockwise cadcambee 2002-07-30 10:28:52 UTC Re: Clockwise and Anticlockwise jbordens 2002-07-30 15:58:32 UTC Re: Clockwise and Anticlockwise Jon Elson 2002-07-30 19:51:07 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Clockwise and Anticlockwise pcfw 2002-07-30 20:58:12 UTC Re: Clockwise and Anticlockwise