CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Clockwise and Anticlockwise

Posted by pcfw
on 2002-07-30 20:58:12 UTC
Hi Jake,

You're welcome. Glad my opinion was worth something. Was going to say
to wait for further input from the real Gecko servo experts, but I
suppose if I wrote anything wrong they will be quick to respond to
correct me.

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., "jbordens" <jake@a...> wrote:
> Thanks. I was just worried that I had something wired backwards or
> something. Especially since the "black" lead from my motor seemed
> to need to go to the + terminal on the gecko, and the "white" lead
> to the - terminal, which only added to my feeling that I had
> something backwards.
>
> I just built a nice little 8kHz square wave generator from an old
> 555 timer IC I had laying around. Using it, I've calibrated my
> first geckodrive using the o-scope method mentioned in the
> documentation.
>
> I'm pretty excited. Two more drives to calibrate, then I can seal
> this entire thing up. :)
>
> Thanks again,
> Jake
>
> --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., "cadcambee" <cadcamcenter@y...> wrote:
> > Hi Jake,
> >
> > Having the Gecko expert opinion on toroid overruled by a nonEE
> give
> > this non-expert courage to try to venture an opinion.
> >
> > Clockwise, counter-clockwise (anti-clockwise to others) are a
> matter
> > of convention, just like some people take positive x-axis to the
> > left, while others take +ive x-axis to the right. So your
> assumption
> > that it is just a matter of how one look at it would be about
> correct.
> >

> > --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., "jbordens" <jake@a...> wrote:
> > > OK, this is a REALLY stupid question, but I have to ask. ;)
> > >
> > > I'm testing the encoders on my Geckodrive setup following the
> > > Geckodrive instructions.
> > >
> > > They say that for every step clockwise of the command position,
> the
> > > voltage goes down .04 volts, and every step counter clockwise
of
> > the
> > > command position the voltage goes up .04
> > >
> > > However, my setup behaves the opposite. Exactly opposite.
> > >
> > > So my question: what perspective am I supposed to be
determining
> > > clockwise and anticlockwise? :)
> > >
> > > If I look at the motor spindle head on, the scope shows that
> things
> > > are behaving exactly opposite. However, if I look at the motor
> > from
> > > the back, at the encoder, things are correct.
> > >
> > > Since everything is connected properly, I assume its just a
> problem
> > > with how I'm looking at things. :)
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Jake

Discussion Thread

jbordens 2002-07-30 07:56:47 UTC Clockwise and Anticlockwise cadcambee 2002-07-30 10:28:52 UTC Re: Clockwise and Anticlockwise jbordens 2002-07-30 15:58:32 UTC Re: Clockwise and Anticlockwise Jon Elson 2002-07-30 19:51:07 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Clockwise and Anticlockwise pcfw 2002-07-30 20:58:12 UTC Re: Clockwise and Anticlockwise