CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] CNC Plasma

Posted by Chris L
on 2002-08-08 21:44:13 UTC
Steve,
My recommendation ? Depending on what you want to do of course.

For me though, One real big linear Rail down one side, pulling a "T" shaped Gantry via Rack and Pinion (teeth vertical) will do it for me next time. Nema23's in the neighborhood of 150oz could
easily move it at 600ipm because it is non-contact. I've got some little 80oz that move near 400ipm now !

The Y gantry could have a single large THK-IKO rail with the same drive mechanism. By allowing the other end of the Y axis to just "ride" on a rail with a open wheel of sorts, You can "tip" up the
entire gantry to place materials. Nice feature if you have Forklift operators like I am used to !

Depending also on what your cutting, you could run the Z axis fixed or via step motor. Electric Selenoid or Air Cylinder options work too as long as you build a pretty straight machine that the
torch does not have to change much to follow the metal

. I've been wondering if anyone ever made that circuit that Mariss developed for height control. That is something I wouldn't mind sticking on mine as I think my Hypertherm has the "output" signal
necessary to use it.

I also opted to fork over the extra cash for the real "Machine Torch Head".... If anything it sure looks better than the hand torch clamped >kiddiewumpass< on the Z axis.

One thing for sure though...... DITCH any control that can't continuous contour without jerks and pauses if you do not like grinding. It's amazing how many bumps and jiggles turn up in the cut.

I'm using FlashCut on mine and it works excellent. Some of the latest "Torch Control" enhancements they have added (laser, watejet as well) allow it to cycle the torch correctly on feedholds,
restarts Etc. I sure like being able to change my Pierce Delay Time right at the Controller, and, they are (can be) based on "M-Commands" instead of G04 Codes ! No more editing the file, just change
the before/after I/O delays. Speed? The newest Chip has really made this thing fly thru mixed geometery without stopping unecessarily. Smooooooth Cuts.

FlashCuts next version takes some of the "off contact" cutting options quite a bit farther. I've even noticed enhancements for this type of work in their DXF Import Routines.

Have Fun,
Chris L