CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Flames Sparks and Free Speech

Posted by Ray Henry
on 2000-01-27 07:14:01 UTC
Bill and List

IM-(never humble, sometimes dead wrong)-O I respectfully disagree that we
drop the subject now. The OS wars are just beginning everywhere and the
useful information that they seem to bring forward at the oddest moments
has a powerful bearing on most aspects of the subject of this NG.

Yes, the anti Linux rants that ocasionally drop into my mailbox from here
grate on me like like a hard spot in a stick of chalk on a slateboard. (I'm
an old dog also) But I've learned to nod off during polemics while at the
same time sifting to see if there's any useful stuff there. What works and
what doesn't is what I'm here for.

If we begin to filter out certain topics we'll wind up like all of the
autocratic systems before us. Thomas Jefferson wrote into the US bill of
rights that god has given us the right to lie, and TJ was a master at it.
We don't need personal attacks but we can't afford to ignore the range of
stuff available. Sparks -- like scat -- will happen.

There is value in sharing what works and why. If you have to rant to say
it, eh. And the recent questionaire will be a good educational experience
for Karl, perhaps not in quite the way he expected!

If we must drop something, let's agree to drop our own part in the worst of
the grating stuff but never the subject.

Ray

> Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 22:53:36 EST
> From: WAnliker@...
>Subject: Flames

>In the past we had one flame war get out of hand, unfortunately I was out of
>town then, and we lost one man. I sincerely hope that there are no flame
>wars on this list, so I request that all members drop the subject now, and
>lets keep everyone that we have.

Discussion Thread

Ray Henry 2000-01-27 07:14:01 UTC Re: Flames Sparks and Free Speech WAnliker@a... 2000-01-27 09:02:19 UTC Re: Re: Flames Sparks and Free Speech Darrell 2000-01-27 09:52:33 UTC Re: Re: Flames Sparks and Free Speech WAnliker@a... 2000-01-27 11:26:48 UTC Re: Re: Flames Sparks and Free Speech