CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Axis brakes - operation & control?

Posted by Ray Henry
on 2000-01-27 06:23:31 UTC
Brad

The notes to the last release of EMC say that there is a wrapper for the
stg series 2 board included and that they are looking for feedback. I
haven't heard of anyone applying it to a machine other than some rumblings
about what's been done by the folk at NIST.

Most of the machines that I service release the common axis brakes when
they come to life. Many rotary fourth axis systems will release that brake
only when that axis is moving.

I've heard that with EMC, axis brakes have tended to be run from some sort
of machine up signal though you could also convert one of the coolant or
spare signals on the default second parport. Writing your own I/O system
just got easier also because a lot of it can now be written in TclTk.

Ray

BTW

EMC Technical issues live on emc@...
The EMC handbook (new) and EMC dropbox resides at: http://www.linuxcnc.org
http://www.ktmarketing.com also has some good EMC info and the faq for this
list

> Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 08:33:35 -0500
> From: "Brad Heuver" <bheuver@...>
>Subject: Axis brakes - operation & control?
>
>On machines with brakes on all the axis, are they released once the CNC
>control takes over, never to be applied again under controlled
>operation? Alternatively, if the program calls for a long X-axis only
>cut, is the Z and/or Y brake allowed to apply? I'm guessing that the
>servo's hold the position, with the brakes off, but wanted some
>feedback.
> Next, is EMC set up to control the brakes, or is this accomplished in

>another fashion? Lastly, I know this has been asked before, but does
>anyone know if emcmot will work with the servotogo series 2 card?Since
>the series one is not readily available, my conversion may require
>programing knowledge otherwise...
>

>Brad Heuver
>Mechanical Sub-Systems fax 734-523-6052
>734-52-33480 bheuver@...

Discussion Thread

Brad Heuver 2000-01-26 05:33:35 UTC Axis brakes - operation & control? Robert Bachman 2000-01-26 06:12:11 UTC Re: Axis brakes - operation & control? Jon Elson 2000-01-26 13:06:46 UTC Re: Axis brakes - operation & control? Ray Henry 2000-01-27 06:23:31 UTC Re: Axis brakes - operation & control?