CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Subject: Re: Surplus servo motors sources

Graham Stabler wrote:

> I was merely hoping for a list of urls for suppliers of surplus servo
> motors. I will be using the motor for the spindle of a CNC coil winder.
> I'm not sure of the size required as I am not yet sure what the spindle
> and chuck will be like in terms of weight. The coils and the wire are
> small and this respectively and have no real effect of the torque
> required from the motor.

What you want is a capstan motor from a 1/2" reel to reel computer
tape drive. These are low inertia motors designed for quickly accelerating
and decelerating light loads, with excellent control of speed and torque.
I'm not sure a Gecko drive has sufficient bandwidth for controlling such
a drive. An analog servo amp with a DC tach might do better. With
a sufficiently low encoder line count, the Gecko might be fine, though,
as you don't specify what kind of RPMs you are looking for.
Commercial coil winders run up to 3000 or more RPM.

Anyway, there are Micro Switch motors with integral tachs at some
surplus outfits like Herbach & Rademan and C&H Supply. I have
used these in a few projects and found them to be very controllable.

Jon

> For a power supply I will build to suit the selected motor. I am
> hoping to use a Geckodrive for control along with an Encoder.

Discussion Thread

Graham Stabler 2002-08-20 02:04:18 UTC Subject: Re: Surplus servo motors sources JJ 2002-08-20 04:51:53 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Subject: Re: Surplus servo motors sources Peter 2002-08-20 08:09:44 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Subject: Re: Surplus servo motors sources Jon Elson 2002-08-21 00:37:02 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Subject: Re: Surplus servo motors sources