CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: help for a newbie

on 2002-08-27 13:17:54 UTC
Oh, I should have said that too, I have a power supply I bought as a
kit from Dan Mauch. It is putting out about 37 Volts at the terminal
where I split to run to the 3 drives. I wasn't trying to get the
power from a computer power supply! I believe I have the proper power
supply, It's just something I am overlooking in the parallel port
connections.
Thanks
Kelly
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., Alan Marconett KM6VV <KM6VV@a...> wrote:
> Hi Emory, Kelly,
>
> I'm afraid I'd have to disagree with Emory on a point or two. The
+5
> SHOULD be taken from the computer's power supply (Mariss has
confirmed
> it). The MOTOR power SHOULD NOT. Neither is it wise to use an "AT"
> style power supply for 12V to run the motors. They WANT MORE! If I
> remember correctly, 24V is about the minimum you want to use. Look
for
> a linear power supply, no regulation needed! I find them surplus
all
> the time! Or build your own with a 28V 10A or so transformer, cap
and
> bridge! That'll get you started!
>
> Alan KM6VV
>

> Emory Smith wrote:
> >
> > Please don't try to run ANY of the CNC drive from the
> > computer's power supply. A good place to start would
> > be to get a used AT type power supply to power the
> > equipment. They usually run $5 to $15 and have plenty
> > of power.
> >
> > Red=+5
> > Yellow=+12
> > Black=Ground (common to +5 and +12)
> > Cut off and individually tape or heat shrink all unused wires.
> >
> > These supplies require a load so connect two 1 Ohm/5 Watt
> > resistors in series from one of the +5 lines to ground.
> >
> > Good luck,
> > Emory

I'm
> > not having much luck, what am I missing? I am only playing with
one
> > drive for now as I would hate to fry all 3 by doing something
stupid,
> > which I am fully capable of doing!
> > I asked the question about a wall wart last week, and since then I
> > have come across an old computer to run turbocnc and to pull my +
> > 5vdc singal from.
> >
> > I have the all the windings in the correct terminals on the g201,
> > don't have anything in the disable terminal 7 at the moment, I am
> > just trying to get the motor to move for now. Terminal 8 I have
> > connected to pin 2 on the parallel port cable, terminal 9 to pin
3 on
> > the parallel port cable, I used a floppy disk drive power
connector
> > to pull my 5 volts from to terminal 10. I took and tied pins 18-
> > the ground of this same power connector (that may be the problem)
> > have a 36k ohm 1/4 watt resistor across terminals 11 and 12. I was
> > told to set the amperage for about 2.86 amps. When I turn on the
> > power supply I can feel the motor lock up, but thats it. I did
feel t
> > flinch as the computer booted up. It does have a good bit of
holding
> > torque. I tried to use the fkeybit, but that does not produce
> > anything. I checked the voltage from the case to terminal 10 and
have
> > about 5.27 volts, I have about .5 volts on terminals 8 and 9.
> > I have 8 wire bipolar motors with the windings connected in a
series.
> > I'm sure this is either something really easy that I have missed
or I
> > need to be saving my money for another drive!
> > Thanks for the help!
> >
> > Kelly Sprayberry

Discussion Thread

ksprayberry428 2002-08-26 18:47:04 UTC help for a newbie Robert Campbell 2002-08-26 19:32:37 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] help for a newbie ksprayberry428 2002-08-26 19:49:01 UTC Re: help for a newbie caudlet 2002-08-27 08:09:55 UTC Re: help for a newbie Tim Goldstein 2002-08-27 09:37:27 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] help for a newbie Emory Smith 2002-08-27 10:12:10 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] help for a newbie ksprayberry428 2002-08-27 10:19:28 UTC Re: help for a newbie JJ 2002-08-27 11:10:19 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] help for a newbie Alan Marconett KM6VV 2002-08-27 11:24:31 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] help for a newbie ksprayberry428 2002-08-27 13:17:54 UTC Re: help for a newbie ksprayberry428 2002-08-28 03:58:49 UTC Re: help for a newbie turbulatordude 2002-08-28 05:56:17 UTC Re: help for a newbie Emory Smith 2002-08-29 16:26:15 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] help for a newbie