CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] preprocessor postprocessor

From: cadcamcenter <cadcamcenter@...>
To: <CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Thursday, August 29, 2002 3:17 AM
Subject: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] preprocessor postprocessor

> Hi,
>
> One often hear about post-processors for CAM programs, and to this
> programming dummy, it is something that ensure the NC program
> generated will be understood by the Machine (is this the same as the
> controller?).

Postprocessors are actually part of CAM program itself. They translate
the data from it's native format to a machine specific (i.e. G-Code) format.

> Just learned that there is such a thing as preprocessor, which I
> dimly understand to be something that make sure that the source code
> will be understood by whatever compiler to be used to compile them
> into an executable program.

I think that you are confusing Computer Programming (i.e. C-language) with
CNC Machine Tool Programming.

> Is my understanding way off the mark? Is there any thing that anyone
> can add to the above that can add to our understanding of what
> exactly is a post-processor? Like perhaps throwing some light on how
> a pre-processor and post-processor work, and if one can dish up a
> post-processor (other than for the infamous MasterCAM) even without
> knowledge of the source codes?
>
> Thanks
>
> Peter

Please feel free to give me a call if you wish...

Best Regards
Greg Pettengill
Cote' Art & Engineering
321 269-7587

Discussion Thread

cadcamcenter 2002-08-29 00:29:25 UTC preprocessor postprocessor cadcamcenter 2002-08-29 00:32:52 UTC preprocessor postprocessor Robert Campbell 2002-08-29 06:19:37 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] preprocessor postprocessor Greg Pettengill 2002-08-29 06:58:17 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] preprocessor postprocessor cadcamcenter 2002-08-29 08:02:35 UTC Re: preprocessor postprocessor cadcamcenter 2002-08-29 08:42:55 UTC Re: preprocessor postprocessor Greg Pettengill 2002-08-29 09:22:01 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: preprocessor postprocessor