CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Can I upgrade a robot?

Posted by Ray Henry
on 2002-09-04 05:17:10 UTC
Pete

You could apply the EMC program to it but it is not trivial -- like
hooking up a few wires and running. You would need to figure out the
kinematics for its set of arms and joints. EMC does have sample
kinematic files for a couple of hexapods and a Puma. There would be some
original work on your part but the computer code is designed to handle
this sort of project.

If I had it to do, I'd replace the old stepper drives with Gecko 210's.
If these are big motors like NEMA 42 you can ask Mariss at Gecko for the
big motor tuned versions. These microstepping drives with pulse
multipliers will allow you much better control of most any motor in most
any application than will the original drives. (Shameless sales pitch but
I have no connection with Gecko.)

Hope this helps.

Ray

>    From: "uhdie1" <p_uhd@...>
> Subject: Can I upgrade a robot?
>

> Can I upgrade the electronics and software for my robot? My robot is a
> 20 year old, 4 axis, stepper motor, 10kg pick and place.
>
> I need the robot to cut out shapes drawn in Autocad 2d or similar.
>
> The drivers for the steppers are probably in good condition but the
> unit is not running to test it. The other electronics are plc not pc
> compatable. It is all 20 year old original high quality
> scientific/industrial.
>
> I'm out of my depth with electronics, is new componentry compatable
> with old stepper drivers???   Can the circular interpolation of a
> robot be directed through software to cut from autocad???
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated...
>
> Regards Pete

Discussion Thread

uhdie1 2002-09-03 21:25:45 UTC Can I upgrade a robot? doug king 2002-09-03 23:52:08 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Can I upgrade a robot? Ray Henry 2002-09-04 05:17:10 UTC Re: Can I upgrade a robot? rainnea 2002-09-04 09:49:21 UTC Re: Can I upgrade a robot? Brian 2002-09-04 16:37:50 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Can I upgrade a robot?