CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Survey Please read (tome)

Posted by hansw
on 2000-01-28 18:19:46 UTC
Dan,
quick reply

Dan Falck wrote:

> From: Dan Falck <dfalck@...>
>
> Hans,
>
> Ok, you are into Windows. That's fine. You use CNCPro. I have heard a
> lot of good things about it. You do work on a Maxnc mill running stepper
> motors making circuit boards. Your system works well for you.

Well it does at least use the Up/Down/Left/Right arrow kesy to move
arund, I have the MAXNC software, and the darn left right shift keys are
so confusing... That programmer ( and I hope hes reads this ) shoudl
learn about keyboards...

CNCPro is a developing program, I wish Doug could do more with it, but I
understand it's not his full time job.
CNCPro does have variables and subroutines, the MAXNC stuff does not.

> CNCPro wouldn't work well for me. I need cutter radius compensation for
> some jobs. I want to be able to modify the GUI (yes it has a gui) to suit
> my needs. I like to edit some programs at the control - while the machine
> is cutting parts.

Many tiems can be tweaked while CNCPro is running, and I agree the
ability to edit a line needs to be added.
I also think saving the corindates as MAXNC sosftware does is handy.
CNCPro does not do that.

> I have a couple of milling machines running EMC. The computers that
> control these milling machines are dedicated to just running parts. No
> more, no less. To me, these controllers are just as good as the Fanuc or
> Fadal pendants on the CNCs at work (actually EMC is better in a lot of
> ways). I don't do CAD/CAM work on them. I do that on the windoze machine
> that is in another room, with Vector CAD/CAM on it and then send files over
> the network to the machines. So, the Linux/Windows debate is of no
> importance to me. I use both. It just happens that the machine controller
> that I like best works on Linux- it used to work on Windows NT (NIST
> stopped developement on that platform for some reason).

Well you are into this for a living and I'd expect you to run the
best... My main line of work is electronics and code. I have the best
every two years in the way of systems.... 7 computes now another one
will be added when Intel can double the speed on this one, until then
it's not work the extra money... I build my own using SuperMicro
Motherboards, made in the USA and it shows... 110%

> EMC supports steppers and servos. You can run a Hexapod with the 6 axis
> version of it. It is open source- so there are some of us who are adding
> things to it, which you can find at: www.linuxcnc.org. Ray Henry added a
> backplotter to it.
>
> It's an open ended system that is free- yes some people complain about the
> time needed for the Linux install, but EMC is free and it is an industrial
> grade control program. That's hard to beat.
>
> Sorry for the rant, but I had to do it!

Now problem, Ian Wright of the UK is trying to get me to have another go
at Linux, and I may, but have to have the time first...

hansw