CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: StlWork

Posted by IMService
on 2002-09-09 15:54:15 UTC
> Date: Sun, 8 Sep 2002 13:21:21 -0700
> From: "Gary Wheeler" <g.wheeler@...>
>Subject: StlWork
>

>For instance, the toolpaths of a 3d architectural model (in the regular
>orientation) would come out with the sides of the building tapered. Any
>building model comes out sort of pyramid-shaped or ziggurat shaped, with
>the
>side walls about 5 degrees from vertical.

For Raster cutting (Zig-Zag, parallel to the X or Y axis), StlWork evaluates
the STL model along the direction of travel at the user specified interval. This
can be set to a granularity that is smaller than the smallest increment of
the mill or router, and hence will generate vertical plunges within .0001inch
if that is your machine resolution.

This was explained in our user forum at this link:
http://www.imsrv.com/discus/messages/17/462.html?1027905275

StlWork can also cut with a waterline strategy. With this method, the cuts
are made at a specified step down in Z, and follow the contour around at this
depth. From the top view this looks like the lines on a contour map. It is very
efficient as the slower Z axis does not move except to travel between the rings,
and the full speed of the faster X and Y axes can be utilized. If there are vertical
side walls, this technique will cut straight down the faces. This makes for an
excellent finish method, as the side of the cutter is doing the cutting, rather
than the curved portion at the tip of a ball nose. Higher surface speed at this
part of the cut usually means higher feedrates too.

Best Regards, Fred Smith- IMService

Listserve Special discounts and offers are at:
http://www.imsrv.com/2002grp.html

Discussion Thread

Fred Smith 2000-09-03 15:36:54 UTC Re:StlWork Gary Wheeler 2002-09-08 16:50:16 UTC StlWork doug98105 2002-09-08 18:31:02 UTC Re: StlWork doug98105 2002-09-08 18:50:15 UTC Re: StlWork IMService 2002-09-09 15:54:15 UTC Re: StlWork Gary Wheeler 2002-09-11 06:35:43 UTC Re: StlWork