CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Position counter stop updating....Still there....

Posted by Les Watts
on 2002-09-15 05:49:31 UTC
Well if you have seen that before then it well could be it.
I have never had that problem, but my computer and
breakout boards are all in a well shielded case. As mentioned
the ribbon cable to the card is a twisted pair type. My star ground
point is right next to the breakout board and digital and analog
ground is hooked there.

The servo amps are also in that box about a foot away. They are all
bypassed right at the terminals with a couple hundred mf.

So filters on encoder lines would do nothing unless that was a noise
path to the card internals.
What about ferrite beads on the card grounds?

If the computer case was the star ground point that might help.
It is earthed through the power plug. Or it is on mine.... hmmm
I'll bet Babar is using something other than 120v 60 Hz power.
Actually on high power audio gear I have sometimes floated
the units to remove hum from loops through rack panels.
Not the best thing to do, but it did work well sometimes
in desperate situations. Good way to get shocked.

Les
Leslie Watts
L M Watts Furniture
Tiger, Georgia USA