CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] seating bearings, ( was Re: Bad Bearing

Posted by Scot R. Darr
on 2002-09-16 15:33:43 UTC
Try peening, I don't think peeing inside your motor will help much. <Grin>

-----Original Message-----
From: turbulatordude [mailto:davemucha@...]
Sent: Monday, September 16, 2002 3:12 PM
To: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] seating bearings, ( was Re: Bad Bearing

couple notes.

First, shooting for the exact size is preferred. if the hole is too
lose, the use of a bearing seating fluid will hold most bearings to
within the extected pressures, some even tighter than press fits.

caution about temperature, some stuff gives up at moderate
temperatures, so ask that question. Stepper motors will probably
never get that hot, but 350 deg F rings a bell for me.

Inside peeing or knurling is a time honored and well accepted
solution. another is roller burnishing. if you are doing a lot of
one size, you should look into rooler burnishing. it would be a
roller expander that will compresss the metal on the bore of the hole
or the shaft. the compressed metal will be stronger than a finish
cut surface.

hope this helps.

Dave

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., "Kurt Bilinski" <kimini22@c...> wrote:
> Another solution can be Locktite. They have an adhesive especially
made for
> keeping bearings in their bore. Check out their website.
>
> --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., bjammin@i... wrote:
> > At 06:10 PM 9/13/02 -0000, you wrote:
> > >When you get the new bearing here's a little trick I use to get a
> > >press fit in a slightly too large hole. Put the housing in a
vise
> > >and use a center punch to create a series of divots around the
> inside
> > >of the bearing seat. These divots will displace some metal up
and
> > >allow you to press in a new bearing in a slightly too large hole.
> >
> > Not really reliable ... knurling is better. But the raised metal
is
> way low
> > in surface area and will often simply fret away or be pushed back
> down.
> >
> > Regards, Hoyt McKagen
> >

> How do you knurl the inside of a bearing seat? I've seen knurling
> tools for outside diameters, but I didn't know there was such a
thing
> for an internal curve.
>
> -Erik Reikes

Addresses:

OFF Topic POSTS: General Machining
If you wish to post on unlimited OT subjects goto: aol://5863:126/rec.crafts.metalworking or go thru Google.com to reach it if you have trouble.

NOTICE: ALL POSTINGS TO THIS GROUP BECOME PUBLIC DOMAIN BY POSTING THEM. DON'T POST IF YOU CAN NOT ACCEPT THIS.....NO EXCEPTIONS........

Post messages: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com
Moderator: jmelson@... timg@... [Moderator]
bill,
List Mom