CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: parelling two switching power supplies ?

Posted by caudlet
on 2002-09-24 14:46:28 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., "turbulatordude" <davemucha@j...> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I was chatting with a friend about boosting power.
>
> can one safely parallel 2 switching power supplies ?

Regulated power supplies (both switchers and linear) are not easy to
parallel and make them share the load. You can do as others have
suggested and put some power resistors in series with each output
which essentially makes it unregulated. The resistors burn power at
the rate of (I^2 (square) R)) so take the average current, square it
and multiply by the value of the resistor and that's the watts
of "heat" dissipation you will get.

It might be better to use the two supplies on separate motors. Read
some of the earlier posts about using switching power supplies by
adding an outboard filter cap.

Now you CAN run two supplies in series to get more voltage but that's
another story....

Discussion Thread

turbulatordude 2002-09-24 06:54:53 UTC parelling two switching power supplies ? Jon Elson 2002-09-24 10:54:01 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] parelling two switching power supplies ? caudlet 2002-09-24 14:46:28 UTC Re: parelling two switching power supplies ?