CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Re: what is 4 axis and 5 axis?

Posted by Ray Henry
on 2002-09-25 05:02:55 UTC
The geometry that Bob describes is by far the most common sort of machine
tool. In general they are called Cartesian machines. Each axis bears
some sort of 90 degree relationship to every other. There are
suggestions that we all ought to use the standard designation that an A
axis rotates around X, B rotates around Y, and C rotates around Z.

It gets a bit less clear when one axis is stacked on another. Bill keeps
it clear by rotating the spindle head/tool holder around the Y axis for
his description of a fifth. A stacked version of that rotation could
also be done from a platform or saddle on the 4th axis. Now that axis
behaves like a combination of B and C and muddies the Cartesian waters a
bit.

There is a whole class of non-Cartesian machines like robot welding arms
and Stewart Platforms. I've seen some of these made into milling
machines with as many as nine different axis motors.

Hope this helps

Ray

>    From: J <jaredts@...>
> Subject: Re: what is 4 axis and 5 axis?
>
> I'll just give an example.  A typical vertical machining center has a 2
> axis table (x and y) and a spindle that moves along a third axis(z).
>  Add a rotary table and thats a fourth axis.  Add a spindle head that
> can rotate to an angle and thats a fifth.
>  echnidna wrote:what is meant by the terms 4 axis and 5 axis and more ?
>
> Bob

Discussion Thread

echnidna 2002-09-24 20:04:59 UTC what is 4 axis and 5 axis? J 2002-09-24 20:21:29 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] what is 4 axis and 5 axis? Jon Elson 2002-09-24 23:03:56 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] what is 4 axis and 5 axis? cadcamcenter 2002-09-25 01:55:26 UTC Re: what is 4 axis and 5 axis? Ray Henry 2002-09-25 05:02:55 UTC Re: Re: what is 4 axis and 5 axis? Jon Elson 2002-09-25 09:58:19 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: what is 4 axis and 5 axis? jmkasunich 2002-09-25 14:12:47 UTC Re: what is 4 axis and 5 axis?