CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Suspect email from group

Posted by bjammin@i...
on 2002-10-04 07:46:02 UTC
At 12:51 PM 10/4/02 -0000, you wrote:
>I have gotten 3 very suspect e-mails in the last 24 hours.
>one was a bat file
>the other two were *.scr files.

I get these every day. For a while I had none, right after I changed email
addies to kill spam. The spam killing is still working, and because I no
longer use email addy on NGs, I presume that's where these spammers are
looking for refs. I also munged the email addy on web sites, because of
web-bots reading them into mailing lists.

Virii however, are coming from people who put your name into their mail
lists, and then get infected. My reader doesn't open attachments, so I
think I'm proof against virii. I wrote a batch file that kills all .scr
.exe .pif .bat .com .vcf etc files in my inbox, and I run it every time I
see anything in message text that looks odd. It also runs as part of
autoexec.bat, on shutting down Windoze.

To be more certain about not getting infected, NEVER double-click an
attachment! ALWAYS open the relevant utility and then use it in turn to
open the attachment. I can't begin to number the times a utility has given
me an error message about files such as .jpg, which also can contain virii.

Regards, Hoyt McKagen

Belfab CNC - http://www.freeyellow.com/members/belfab/belfab.html
US Best MC - http://www.freeyellow.com/members/batwings/best.html
Camping/Caving - http://www.freeyellow.com/members/batwings/caving.html
93% of people killed in workplace accidents are men

Discussion Thread

markpowerplus 2002-09-26 17:17:52 UTC Suspect email from group wanliker@a... 2002-10-03 23:46:05 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Suspect email from group John 2002-10-04 00:20:12 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Suspect email from group turbulatordude 2002-10-04 05:51:37 UTC Re: Suspect email from group bjammin@i... 2002-10-04 07:46:02 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Suspect email from group stevenson_engineers 2002-10-04 18:13:10 UTC Re: Suspect email from group