CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: software/hardware for laser engraver

on 2002-10-06 19:42:22 UTC
As a reply to my post, upon further reflection, I think that emc can
actually control my galvos after all. A few calculations:

realistic galvo speed for engraving - 20 inches/second
realistic resolution - 1000 dots per inch

At this speed, I could vector scan the entire range of the galvos (4
inchs by 4 inchs) in 800 seconds. This would be worst case with a
100% fill graphic. Most things would be max 10% fill, meaning 80
seconds for a 4x4 inch square. My mill travel is 28 inches by 16
inches, meaning 28 squares over the entire area, or 2240 seconds or
about 34 minutes for a 28 inch by 16 inch engraving. I can live with
that.

So, I am thinking about using an atmel running a short program to
take step and direction from emc and output +/-10V through a fast
serial DAC connected to its sync serial port. Should be a simple
board.

I guess I might be the first one on the list to use a laser engraver
with emc, huh? I will take some pictures when it is done.

Richard

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., "skykotechnologies"
<skykotechnologies@y...> wrote:

> I am using EMC on a large 3 axis bed mill. I want to mount a small
> (25 watt) CO2 laser and galvo head to the mill head (the mill head
> moves up and down on boxed ways, is already 500lbs by itself, so a
> few more pounds will not make a difference). The galvos take a +/-
> 10V signal for x and y, for a total beamscan area of 4" x 4". My
> idea was that this small area would be scanned across the workpiece
> because of the large (28 inch x 16 inch) travel of the mill table.
>
> Anyway, I am using EMC to control the mill, and I was thinking
about
> ways I could control the laser head. I could make a
microcontroller
> and D/A board, but I am not sure how to drive it. Obviously the
> galvos need to move much faster than any step/direction program can
> drive them. I am using step/direction for the other three axis. I
> would want to do things like engrave control panels in anodized
> aluminum (it ends up looking similar to silkscreen). I also might
> use the laser to cut balsa airplan parts and dollhouse parts (a
trick
> to get my wife to let me buy the laser), but that would be slower,
> and I could just let the galvos reside at 0,0 and move the mill
> table. With the speed of the galvos, I could also do grayscale
> images in wood, which could be kinda cool.
>
> Any suggestions? Is anyone else planning something like this and
> would like to collaborate?
>
> Richard

Discussion Thread

skykotechnologies 2002-10-06 08:19:43 UTC software/hardware for laser engraver skykotechnologies 2002-10-06 19:42:22 UTC Re: software/hardware for laser engraver Jon Elson 2002-10-06 22:10:47 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: software/hardware for laser engraver Rick E 2002-10-06 23:04:03 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: software/hardware for laser engraver Tim Goldstein 2002-10-06 23:19:58 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: software/hardware for laser engraver Rick E 2002-10-06 23:44:29 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: software/hardware for laser engraver