CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Machining question

on 2002-10-10 13:41:22 UTC
Hi Kim,

If you had CNC, you could probably hog the support rods out of a block,
as you suspect. Boy, would that be a complex part to model. I suspect
it was a CAST part. I do remember some posts a while back about a CNC
controlled tube bender. It allowed holding tube at different angles for
each subsequent bend. Perhaps a set of jig's to hold the stock at
different angles, while it was turned, until the "dog legs" were turned?

Otherwise, How about turning a tapered SOLID rod to match the tapers of
the stand, then bend it as necessary.

Just a little hard to see stand in pix, but I think I get the idea.

I'd ask over on the Sherline list, might be a better place for this
question.

Alan KM6VV

kimvellore wrote:

> Hi,
> I have a simple part that I am planing to make but I am not able
> to think how I can do it. The part is a engine standoff. It is like a
> cone with a slight curve in it.
> Here are pictures of the engine with the right stand
> The stand I am talking about is the two metal stands in the front
> that is holding the engine.
> http://www.scaleautoworks.com/marushPorschevisible6.jpg
> http://www.scaleautoworks.com/marushPorschevisible4.jpg
> http://www.scaleautoworks.com/marushPorschevisible5.jpg
> http://www.scaleautoworks.com/marushPorschevisible2.jpg
>
> Here is my engine with a brass stand that I made of a brass tube bent.
> http://www.scaleautoworks.com/marushPorschbuilt1.jpg
>
> The problem with the brass tube is it is not very sturdy. I would
> like to make it from a aluminum block.
>
> So how would you make this part. I have a Sherline Lathe and endmill
> + rotary table and still in the process of converting to CNC. so this
> might my first project once I can visualiase how to do it.
>
> Here is a video which shows the brass stand more clearly but it is a
> big file ~3M
> http://www.scaleautoworks.com/marushinPorsche2.mpg
>
> Thanks
> Kim

Discussion Thread

kimvellore 2002-10-10 12:28:27 UTC Machining question Scot R. Darr 2002-10-10 12:55:21 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Machining question Alan Marconett KM6VV 2002-10-10 13:41:22 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Machining question Tim Goldstein 2002-10-10 13:52:09 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Machining question Tim Goldstein 2002-10-10 14:02:30 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Machining question dazedNconfused 2002-10-10 14:42:19 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Machining question kimvellore 2002-10-10 17:02:19 UTC Re: Machining question