CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Need help with Mill/Drill retrofit

Posted by Dan Mauch
on 2002-10-11 07:24:32 UTC
If you use ballscrews, then you may have problems in the manual mode
(turning the crank). The reason is that the ballscrew will tend to
backspin unless you engage the table lock for the axis not being used.
If you forget to tighten the table lock for the axis you will get drift.
I would go all the way and cnc it and use a good software program to do
MDI commands.
Jeff Davis has some excellent servo motors for a mill/drill. If you
checked out his web site you probably saw my gecko servo amp case. It
really makes putting a servo system together quite nice. My db25 screw
terminal board makes connecting the G320/G340 quite easy.
Dan

-----Original Message-----
From: protman16 [mailto:tbrookin@...]
Sent: Thursday, October 10, 2002 6:38 PM
To: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Need help with Mill/Drill retrofit

I am currently starting to do a cnc retrofit on a Mill/Drill. I have
most of the mechanical items (ballscrews, bearings, pulleys, belts,
etc.) and have started to replace the lead screws. My plan is to
keep this machine dual-purpose manual/cnc. I am at the point where I
need some help with the control side of things. I need some help in
locating "low cost" servo motors, controller and/or card for PC
interface. I will be using an old Pentium 133 for this retrofit so I
don't think I will have any problems with control capability. Even
though I am trying to keep the cost down I have opted to go with
servos because I have more experience with them. I have done some
searching on the web for PC motion cards and found that most are out
of my budget for this project.
I have visited Jeff Davis site and got some ideas form there, but as
for get this thing connected to a PC I will admit I need help. Any
thoughts would be appreciated. Remember I am trying to keep the cost
down.

Trevor

Addresses:

OFF Topic POSTS: General Machining
If you wish to post on unlimited OT subjects goto:
aol://5863:126/rec.crafts.metalworking or go thru Google.com to reach it
if you have trouble.

sister site to the CCED group, as many of the same members are there,
for OT subjects, that are not allowed on the CCED list.

NOTICE: ALL POSTINGS TO THIS GROUP BECOME PUBLIC DOMAIN BY POSTING THEM.

Post messages: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com
Moderator: jmelson@... timg@... [Moderator]