CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Basic CNC set up on Sherline Mill

Posted by jagco1998
on 2002-10-13 00:07:27 UTC
Thanks Tim for clearing that up for me.
Atleast I got some of it right =)
I tried

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., "Tim Goldstein" <timg@k...> wrote:
> Contrary to the advice below, this group is dedicated to helping
you
> learn enough so you don't have to buy an off the shelf package. For
> another list member that recently asked about a Sherline the
suggestion
> was for more of a turn key package. This was because he wanted
something
> that he could get running as soon as possible with as little
learning as
> possible. To be honest that is not the typical approach on this
list.

> > I would like to add,
> > that being that you have no experience with this sort of
> > thing,I would recommend getting a small complete package that
> > includes everything to get you up and going relitively easy,
> > until you get the hang of CNC.
>
> I think this is pretty clearly laid out in the subject of this
message.
> The machine is a Sherline mill. The norm for a Sherline is a NEMA
23
> motor with between 150 - 225 in/oz. Some people have done it with
less
> torque and some with more. If you are in this range you will get
great
> performance with a Gecko.
>
> > As far as
> > what type and torque rating of steppers you need.That all
> > depends on your machine.
>
> The below definition is a little off. Yes a 2 phase stepper has 2
sets
> of coils. It can be either bipolar or unipolar and how you excite
them
> has no bearing on them being a 2 phase motor. All the unipolar
motors I
> have ever seen are 2 phase and virtually all the unipolar motors
(6 wire
> or 8 wire) can be used as bipolar instead if you just connect them
to a
> bipolar drive. Basically 2 phase refers to the construction and has
> nothing to do with bipolar or unipolar. Bipolar and unipolar has
to do
> with the drive primarily as most motors (all 2 phase except the 4
and 5
> wire units) can be driven in either mode.
>
> > 2 phase steppers,or bipolar , have two sets of coils
> > excited at the same time. Which creates much more torque per
> > step and they tend to be more accurate. They also require
> > more current to drive them compared to a unipolar stepper
> > motor.
>
> Just didn't want you to be more confused than necessary as you
come up
> to speed.
>
> Tim
> [Denver CO]

Discussion Thread

builder4wd 2002-10-12 20:02:36 UTC Basic CNC set up on Sherline Mill Tim Goldstein 2002-10-12 21:05:07 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Basic CNC set up on Sherline Mill Tim Goldstein 2002-10-12 21:05:34 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Basic CNC set up on Sherline Mill Jim Brown 2002-10-12 23:15:45 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Basic CNC set up on Sherline Mill Tim Goldstein 2002-10-12 23:56:29 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Basic CNC set up on Sherline Mill jagco1998 2002-10-13 00:07:27 UTC Re: Basic CNC set up on Sherline Mill builder4wd 2002-10-13 17:41:46 UTC Re: Basic CNC set up on Sherline Mill