CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Pocketing Question

on 2002-10-14 11:04:09 UTC
Hi Dan,

Pocketing can be a little tricky. I'd suggest trying with the outline
going clockwise, and mill on the "right-hand" side. Also, insure that
the outline is continuous, and ALL on the same Z. Right-hand you say?
Yes, think of standing on the tail end of a vector, looking towards the
head, and the cut will be on the right-hand side (I finally
learned/figured that out recently).

Feel free to email me your contour (and cutter info), and I'll see if I
can make it work. I've been using the pocketing function this weekend
to finish off irregular contours (say, the end of the cylinder), of the
parts for the Stuart 10V steam engine I'm building.

Alan KM6VV
(Vector CAD/CAM)

Dan Statman wrote:

> I have a CAM question about Vector because that is the one I own, but I
> guess it applies to any CAM software. I have drawn an outline form of a
> horse using Vector (couldn't do that one mathematically). I have made the
> drawing a single closed chain that forms the outline of the horse shape.
>
> I will most likely just mill the outline with a tiny cutter and fill the
> channel with black enamel for the pendant that I am making. The horse will
> fit on a flat piece rought 15 mm square. I am going to do the outline
> milling with a 0.015" ballnose cutter.
>
> My question is if I want to mill out the entire inside of the horse shape,
> how do I accomplish this. I would be using a 0.020" flat cutter for this
> process. I have selected the closed chain in Vector and then go to the
> Draw-Other Curves- Pocket function. No matter what parameters I fill the
> dialog boxes in with, I get nothing. Is there some VooDoo magic trick I
> need to know before Vector will pocket this shape.
>
> Initially, I believed that it was due to the size of my cutter not being
> able to physically fit inside the shape. however, it does not matter even
> if I use a 0.002" diameter cutter.
>
> If anybody has Vector and knows how to do this, I can send you the file. I
> can also save it as a DXF and the Dolphin camp can give it a try.
>
> Daniel J. Statman, Statman Designs
> www.statmandesigns.com
> dan.statman@...

Discussion Thread

Dan Statman 2002-10-14 09:53:55 UTC Pocketing Question Tim Goldstein 2002-10-14 10:02:52 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Pocketing Question Alan Marconett KM6VV 2002-10-14 11:04:09 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Pocketing Question Dan Statman 2002-10-14 12:04:11 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Pocketing Question stevenson_engineers 2002-10-14 14:09:41 UTC Re: Pocketing Question