CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Looking for spindles

Posted by CL
on 2002-10-14 12:53:01 UTC
Frankly, as you have found, not much exists that is useful, in the size restraints you request.

I have found that your typical engraver spindle is probably your best bet and would fit on a Sherline type machine very well. Check out some of these at:
http://www.visionengravers.com/html/spindles.html

The ones with the springs are about the best thing you could use. The spring allows for "floating" and the use of nose cones when the work requires it. With different shaped nosecones, you can do
quite a bit of engraving on not_so_straight surfaces without projecting a toolpath. When using nosecones, it also incorporates a built in micrometer for depth adjustment.

When you do not want it to float, you turn the large ring above the spring until the spring is fully compressed.

Most spindles like this use a top loading style bit which can be real handy for toolchanges. They come in "fixed" diameters for 1/8', 11/64" and 1/4" tooling. A picture of a typical bit is on the
top of the Antares Page: http://www.antaresinc.net/ Many types of bits are available including spiral flutes and oversize fly bits. Most of the bits are easily sharpened if you are fortunate enough
to have the right machine ( I found one on E-bay)

One more option offered is a combination top and bottom loading 1/4" spindle. This unit allows you to use traditional top loading engraving bits, OR, any 1/4" diameter tooling by means of a drawbar
and collet system. Other collets are available to use smaller diameter bits. One disadvantage is that sometimes you can't quite use all of the life left of the traditional bits as they become
shorter from sharpening, they tend to not be able to stick out as far because of the drawbar setup.

The bearings in these typically will run 24/7 for years on end.... at speeds as high as 30,000. Quite impressive really. They run in the $500 range though. I have one and wouldn't be without it.
Anyone with a decent DC motor, preferably with feedback will enjoy this spindle.

If I made any change to mine, I'd run a toothed belt for extra security. The urethane round belts do break once in a while.

Chris L