CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Looking for spindles [cutters]

RichD wrote:

>CL,
>Speaking of engraving bits. Last week I finally discovered the answer to why,
>after several sharpenings, the edges on Antares "solid micrograin carbide" cutters
>would instantly break down when touched to metal in the usual operation.
>After many repeated resharpenings and microscopic examination, the evidence struck
>me. What I noticed was a difference in color between the unground surface flat, dark,
>and the core metal, much lighter. These cutters are case hardened. Once you grind back
>to the core material, they chip and crumble very easily. Trash!
>A new cutter performs as expected, even with their crude sharpening. It appears as
>tho they are case hardened after sharpening.

Can't be. Case hardening works for steel, but is meaningless on real
carbide. There is
no heat treatment or other process for hardening or annealing carbide.
What I suspect
is these things are not SOLID carbide, but some sort of compound
construction with
a softer steel core and a carbide exterior.

Another possible explanation is they are made by powder mettalurgy, and
either the
process creates a tougher carbide on the exterior, or they actually make
it with a
different composition or crystal configuration on the exterior.

RichD 2002-10-14 20:24:56 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Looking for spindles [cutters] Jon Elson 2002-10-14 22:39:08 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Looking for spindles [cutters] RichD 2002-10-14 23:04:06 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Looking for spindles [cutters] dakota8833 2002-10-15 13:28:03 UTC Re: Looking for spindles [cutters] Brian 2002-10-15 16:08:19 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Looking for spindles [cutters]