CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] What Mill to make CNC

Posted by Mark Peugeot
on 2002-10-15 07:20:42 UTC
> Message: 6
> Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 22:51:23 -0000
> From: "natchamp_87" <mark@...>
> Subject: What Size Servo Motors?
>
> 2) Am I assuming correctly that the Harbor Freight
> import type of bench top mills are significantly
> inferior to the older models? I don't really need
> the size of a Bridgeport and have space
> considerations. Any recommendations?
>
> Mark

If you want to save yourself a lot of headaches buy
the bridgeport, get one with a broken CNC controller,
because all the ball screws and motors are already
there. I know you said that size was an issue, but if
you have enough room, you should go for it. The old
iron is so cheap compared to even the new BP clones or
the smallest usable stuff from china that it almost
does not make sense to do it any other way.

Doing a CNC retrofit is not cheap and anything you can
do to help absorb some of the costs will by not having
to replace parts already on the mill will just make
you smile all the more. I paid (too much according to
some that I have talked to) $2000 for a fully
operational CNC bridgeport. Now I am going through it
and modernizing it so that it can run longer programs
and have the ability to control a 4th axis. I don't
have a lot of room for the machine, but surpisingly it
really is not as big as it looks. (Ok it is a pain in
the butt to move though!!!)

Otherwise I would buy a mill that was CNC ready from
the get go. There are used bargains even on the
smaller stuff you just need to look around.

Mark