CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: cleaning a ballscrew

jagco1998 wrote:

>I was referring to the grime thats inside of the ballnuts , as they
>seem to be sticking(usually you can hear the ballbearings rolling
>when you turn a ballnut)
>Im sorry if I wasnt clear about that.
>I just wanted to know if I could soak them in something to loosen it
>all up inside of the nuts so I could remove it in a manner you guys
>discribed, in order to avoid taking them apart.
>Because I made that mistake once and never got it back together
>right =)Lost a few ballbearings..couldnt find the little buggers!

Yes. Any oil can be worked into the nut (assuming it will move at all).
If it is a bunch of gummy goo, then an oil, or mixture of oil and solvent
will be good. If it is gritty stuff, then grease is good to make the grit
stick to the screw and be drawn out of the nut. I had a bunch of grit in
my nut when I got it (I guess that is HiWin's early obsolescence plan)
so I used the grease to clear it out. It took about two evenings of
tinkering
to get it cleaned out, but I never hear it clicking as it runs over grit
anymore.

If it is really frozen, then dripping strong solvent, or even liquid wrench
into the nut should eventually work. You may find it is rusted internally,
but I hope that is not the case.

jagco1998 2002-10-15 18:53:35 UTC cleaning a ballscrew Jon Elson 2002-10-15 23:38:25 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] cleaning a ballscrew Brian 2002-10-16 04:36:37 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] cleaning a ballscrew jagco1998 2002-10-16 17:07:37 UTC Re: cleaning a ballscrew Jon Elson 2002-10-16 20:34:57 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: cleaning a ballscrew caudlet 2002-10-17 05:21:48 UTC Re: cleaning a ballscrew