CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] cleaning a ballscrew

jagco1998 wrote:

>Just acquired a few ballscrews from a friend , and they are in
>desparate need of a good cleaning.
>Whats the best way to clean them?
>Is it possible to soak them in oil or WD40 to loosen up the grime
>inside of them, because i would rather not take them apart.....I'll
>probably never get them back together if I do.
>Also, what should I use to grease them up once cleaned and ready for
>use?
>I have those rubber boots that go over top of them to keep out dirt
>and such from getting in the ballgrooves.

A trick I used to get grit out of a ballnut that was not easily
disassembled was
to smear grease on the exposed screw, run that part of screw through the
nut,
and then wipe the gritty grease off the screw when it came through the nut.
It takes a number of passes, but will remove grit from the track in the nut.

Many machines use the same way oil they use on the ways, as it is supplied
from the one-shot lube system. I use light grease, and it doesn't take much
to provide a thin coat on the screw. You need to protect the screw, or
it can
become a "magnet" for chips.

jagco1998 2002-10-15 18:53:35 UTC cleaning a ballscrew Jon Elson 2002-10-15 23:38:25 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] cleaning a ballscrew Brian 2002-10-16 04:36:37 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] cleaning a ballscrew jagco1998 2002-10-16 17:07:37 UTC Re: cleaning a ballscrew Jon Elson 2002-10-16 20:34:57 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: cleaning a ballscrew caudlet 2002-10-17 05:21:48 UTC Re: cleaning a ballscrew