CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Axis Creaking - Finding a belt

on 2002-10-17 18:37:37 UTC
Roger, you should be able to measure the pitch with just a
tape measure. The pitch is from the Centerline of one
tooth, to the centerline of the next, or better yet, 10
pitches is the distance between the centerlines of 1st
tooth, & 11th tooth. Once you know the pitch, width, &
number of pitches, and assuming it's of standard form, just
look in McMaster-Carr, MSC, Gates, Goodyear, etc, etc. Good
Luck! (I think the TREE mill is made down in Racine, WI)

RayHex

----------
> From: vrsculptor <vrsculptor@...>
>
> My X-axis on the mill has started making creaking
shuddering noises
> when it starts and stops. Its not stick slip as it moves
freely with
> the hand wheel. When this shuddering noise occurs you
don't feel it
> through the table. The servo drives the axis screw with a
cog belt
> reduction and the encoder is coupled directly to the ball
screw. The
> belts are probably 10 years old and look pretty beat.
Some of the
> cogs are missing little chunks.
>
> I have no idea what pitch they are as they came with the
machine. The
> manufacturer (Tree) wants about $50 a belt. They are
about an inch
> wide by about 18" and I don't see any markings. Can I
take them to
> Gates part counter and ask them for a replacement or am I
going to
> have to figure out what I've got and order it from
somewhere? How do
> you go about identifying a belt?

Discussion Thread

vrsculptor 2002-10-17 13:19:23 UTC Axis Creaking - Finding a belt Marv Frankel 2002-10-17 15:00:30 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Axis Creaking - Finding a belt Raymond Heckert 2002-10-17 18:37:37 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Axis Creaking - Finding a belt