CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: flat spring, silver solder, was Re: router for sheet metal

Posted by Ian W. Wright
on 2002-10-18 01:59:11 UTC
Hi Alan,

Any madel engineering or jewellery supplier will sell you silver solder. It
is available in several different grades / melting points and various
qualities for jewellery work - i.e. grades which will come up to hallmarking
standards.
For what you need, you should ask for 'Easy Flow' solder which comes as No.
1 or No. 2 grade depending on melting point. When you are doing a
multi-stage project it is normal to do the first soldering with a high
melting point solder and then use a progressively lower melting point solder
at each successive stage so that the earlier stuff doesn't get unstuck.
To use silver solder you need to use a blowlamp and special (Easy Flow) flux
which is basically borax. You also need to make sure that the surfaces you
are joining are close fitting and are very clean.

Best wishes,
Ian
--

Ian W. Wright
Sheffield, UK

The following added for automatic email harvesters!
abuse@... abuse@... abuse@... abuse@...
UCE@... abuse@... abuse@...