CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Resolvers vs Encoders

Posted by Greg Jackson
on 2002-10-20 16:37:52 UTC
This is all correct. Another way to look at it is two coils which change
their angle to one another. The resolver is sent a sine wave. The signal
goes through the coils and comes back with some phase change. The phase
change is proportional to the angle between the two coils. The resolver
board sends out a sine wave then it reads the difference in phase between
what it sent and what was returned, this provides absolute angle on the
resolver shaft. With a high frequency carrier wave, a resolver is immune to
external electrical fields. This allows the resolver to be as much as 600
feet from the decoding circuits.

15 years ago the support circuits for incremental encoders were pretty poor.
The alternative was an absolute encoder. Those required large glass wheels
in order to get high resolution for angle. In addition, encoders require
the decoding electronics near to the sensor, normally inside the encoder
body itself. Since the electronics were subject to environmental
conditions, it was quite difficult to put an encoder on the back end of a
motor which might get to 190 degrees F or more. A resolver is pretty much
solid state, just a couple coils, and could be put into very difficult
situations such as steel mills and other hot nasty places.

I have used resolvers in many situations. The company I worked for had an
old fashion preference for them. The resolver support boards were certainly
expensive, but that was only because we had a high margin on them. The chip
that does all the work is from Analog Devices and is really not too
expensive.

The only excuse for switching to resolvers is if you have a technical issue
with encoders that cannot be overcome by conventional practices. This is
pretty uncommon these days.

GTJ