CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Best benchtop 3D CNC milling machine

Posted by Andrew Werby
on 2002-10-27 09:13:23 UTC
Message: 3
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2002 01:46:52 -0000
From: "kad2kam" <kad2kam@...>
Subject: Best benchtop 3D CNC milling machine

I'm looking to buy any used benchtop high speed cnc milling machine.
Main application would be to machine pastic and aluminium prototypes
but machining steel inserts would be a bonus. If someone got any
recomendation for best resource to find the used cnc machines and
which one is the best for that sort of work. of course budget is the
main issue. I looked Roland MDX-650 and VTX mill from defiance any
comments on these machines or if anyone selling these machines please
contact me. Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Kevin Smith
kad2kam@...

Hi Kevin;

[By "high speed", are you referring to the spindle speed, the feedrate, or
the whole process? True High Speed Machining really can only be done with a
very rigid and heavy Vertical Milling Centers- the kind that are enclosed in
a shower-stall type closet, so coolant can be blasted at the part without
making a big mess. They have very powerful spindles too- in the 5hp and up
range, and cost upwards of $50,000. Benchtop machines, much as I love them,
are not really in the same league.

The Roland MDX-650
http://www.rolanddga.com/products/3D/modelers/MDX-650/default.asp is a nice
machine, with servo drives, but it's rather expensive at $23,995 (list,
although they currently offer a $500 rebate). It's rare to find a used one.
Flashcut has a comparable mill, the 8300,
http://www.flashcutcnc.com/html/mach_8000.html which also has servo drive
and ballscrews, but is bigger and costs less ($16,995 list, but I can offer
a further discount). It would be great for the plastic and aluminum parts,
and would cut mild steel if you took it easy.]

Andrew Werby
www.computersculpture.com

Discussion Thread

Andrew Werby 2002-10-27 09:13:23 UTC Re: Best benchtop 3D CNC milling machine Jon Elson 2002-10-27 21:40:58 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Best benchtop 3D CNC milling machine