CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] plasma cutter/machine torch

Posted by Jay Hayes
on 2002-10-29 13:44:09 UTC
Dave,

You might find an OK el cheapo plasma but the Hypertherm and Thermal Dynamic plasmas are the real deal. On the other hand some of the el chepos are real junk. So make sure the machine will do what you
want. I personally have found that my Thermal Dynamics plasmas have all paid for them selves over and over again.

That said, a hand torch can be used as a machine torch. All you need to do is make a simple clamp to hold the torch. I took a tube that fit into the machine torch holder and attached a clamp to it that
clamped onto the hand torch. I made the clamp out of an aluminum block but Kee Klamps or other pipe clamps could be used. I also attached a rack to the side of the tube so the torched could be moved up
and down manually. At the machine I wired in a switch on a pendant lead that is in parallel with the torch trigger. A relay could also be wired in parallel for computer control.

In my book it is better to spend the bucks on a good plasma, even one that is bigger than what you think you need. A machine torch and or automatic standoff can be added later when the machine starts
paying for itself.

Jay

david_margrave wrote:

> I have looked into various low-end plasma cutters in the 1,000-1,500
> range, like hypertherm and thermal dynamics. The guy at the welding
> store, when I told him of my interest in making a CNC plasma cutter
> table, said that a machine torch (another $500) would be required.

Snip...

> Are there any other alternatives to dropping $1,500-$2,000? How about
> those cheap "chicago electric' or 'century' plasma cutters you see in
> Harbor Freight for sub-$600 price tags?
>
> Dave

Discussion Thread

david_margrave 2002-10-29 12:46:10 UTC plasma cutter/machine torch Jay Hayes 2002-10-29 13:44:09 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] plasma cutter/machine torch John 2002-10-30 00:23:17 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] plasma cutter/machine torch caudlet 2002-10-30 05:16:47 UTC Re: plasma cutter/machine torch Raul Lara 2002-10-30 09:18:44 UTC Re: plasma cutter/machine torch