CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] CPU speed vs step pulse rate

echnidna wrote:

>Hi Group,
>Is there a definable relationship between CPU speed and the computer output pulse rate to the stepper\servo motors

Yes, for a given piece of software. But, there's no blanket
relationship, that an xxx MHz
Pentium can generate yyy steps/second with any software. Motherboard
details may
also affect this rate.

Note that some software is not limited by hardware, but by some
intrinsic timing
function of the software, that keeps it below the CPU's limits.

And, some external hardware, like my universal stepper controller,
generates step
pulses on the external board, and the hardware is no limit. As
designed, my board
can go to 300,000 steps/second on up to 4 axes simultaneously.

See http://pico-systems.com/univstep.html for more details.

echnidna 2002-11-11 01:23:30 UTC CPU speed vs step pulse rate Tim Goldstein 2002-11-11 10:59:19 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] CPU speed vs step pulse rate Jon Elson 2002-11-11 11:03:41 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] CPU speed vs step pulse rate Dave Kowalczyk 2002-11-11 12:47:53 UTC Re: CPU speed vs step pulse rate