CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Values for Calulating Motor Sizing

Posted by caudlet
on 2002-11-12 16:32:57 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., "natchamp_87" <mark@h...> wrote:

> What would be a low/med/high IPM for a CNC milling operation? I
will
> be mosting doing aluminum with some steel. What IPM is slow, fast,
> etc. I'm shooting in the dark at this point.

Time to pull out the Machinists Handbook...woops wrong egroup!
Cutting of different materials is done by surface feet per minute.
Sounds simple but it is a combination (in the case of a mill) of the
diameter of the cutter from which you can get the circumference. The
RPM combined with the feedrate determines the SFM. Then you have
different rates for HSS or Carbide tools. See what I mean?>
> What is a good Lbs value? Is this suppose to represent the weight
of
> the table or force required to move the table while cutting, or
> both? I'm not a mechanical engineer, or any other type, so I need
a..

The force is the frictional forces of the moving parts (table, etc)
plus the amount of force the actual cut requires and is based on your
machine and what kind of material you cut and how deep your cuts are
with each pass.

I know this is not the answer you want but sometimes you need to
understand the basis of the question. Some others can give you rules
of thumb about speeds and feeds.

Discussion Thread

natchamp_87 2002-11-12 10:19:50 UTC Values for Calulating Motor Sizing caudlet 2002-11-12 16:32:57 UTC Re: Values for Calulating Motor Sizing turbulatordude 2002-11-12 17:27:28 UTC Re: Values for Calulating Motor Sizing Jon Elson 2002-11-12 22:00:26 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Values for Calulating Motor Sizing natchamp_87 2002-11-13 10:38:52 UTC Re: Values for Calulating Motor Sizing