CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Subject: Ballscrew Options - Thanks!

Posted by Cardinal.Eng
on 2002-11-16 05:32:27 UTC
Mark,

Couldn't resist putting my own oar in the water - I've used ball screws from
Rockford, HIWIN, Nook, & a couple of others - I regularly use the Rockford
ball screws for the retrofits I do commercially for mill/drills as I think
they are the best for that application - I originally used a lot of the
Rockford screws on Bridgeport retrofits also but found that the fit wasn't
as good as it should be - The "yoke" castings that retain the X & Y nuts
never seemed to fit correctly without a lot of shimming and machining - For
my money, the HIWIN units, which are ground threads and run smoother, have
always fit well in Bridgeports for me - I've done probably 40 or 50 of them
and never had a problem with HIWIN - They are only a little more expensive
than Rockford and are a LOT better, in my opinion

I am specifically referring to the Bridgport screws - I have found HIWIN to
be overpriced on other screws with long delivery times -

I have no connection with either company other than as a satisfied user of
their products -

Roland Friestad
c/o Cardinal Engineering, Inc.
2211 155th Street
Cameron, IL 61423
USA
Phone - 309-342-7474
E-Mail - cardinal.eng@...

> Message: 11 Digest 2711
> Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2002 04:13:36 -0000
> From: "natchamp_87" <mark@...>
> Subject: Ballscrew Options - Thanks!
>
> Thanks to all for your comments on what my options are relative to
> ball screws. I think I'll end up going with Rockford's but I'll
> ponder it a while. Reading the comments, it was apparent to me that
> I miss-comunicated one point. I am not after the absolute lowest
> cost. I am after the best overal value to me. There is a big
> difference between spending money blindly and doing the research
> neccsasary to give the best overall solution. By the way, if you
> really want to see an expensive hobby, check out my web page. Cheers!
>
> Mark
> www.mark.hargett.com

Discussion Thread

Cardinal.Eng 2002-11-16 05:32:27 UTC Re: Subject: Ballscrew Options - Thanks!