CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re, AutoSketch

Posted by Chris L
on 2002-12-06 17:36:37 UTC
Larry Edinger wrote:

> How would Autosketch work for CNC work?
> Thanks, Larry

Larry,
I actually Fell in Love with Sketch. It makes excellent dwf, dwg, and varieties of dxf files. Having that allows you to never drift too far from the fateful ".dwg compatible world" as they always seem
to make their programs work with their own files correctly. It allows an excellent entity "database" for anything and everything you want to recall about a line or object. And it is inexpensive. I will
never spend another moment in AcadLt for 2d work.

It has a few serious Flaws though, one which is Line widths. Those at Autodesk in their infinite wisdom decided to give the program 50 different line "types" and "styles". But, for regular lines, They
give you really only two options, too small, and too big! Most of this only affects printing, as on screen for typical drawing you are not inconvenienced much. The Savior for those who NEED good line
width control is that you can specify exact line width dimensions when you draw with polylines.

The other "Flaw" is obviously, ADesk will not spend a lot of time with this program..... It could cut into their AcadLt sales !

My favorite is Version 7 as it came with full manuals for $99. For version 8, they put it in a new box, Ditched the manuals for .pdf files, and Raised the price to $129. Now, they claimed to fix 12
bugs. However, I don't think anyone has Identified those 12 mysterious bugs and it was interesting to see them skirt the issue when they were hassled in their newsgroup. Sketch Does have an excellent
newsgroup with very helpful people. Searching that Group should answer any questions.

Coupled with Sensiva, I have had plenty of AcadLt and R version guys stand amazed at how fast you *Can* draw with it.

I also have had really good results with the DXF exports to other programs. It's obviously short in the 3d arena..... too bad. Think I will be going down the Rhino road for that.

I gave TurboCad a really good shot before I bought Sketch, but they were going belly up at the time. I did it again recently, especially in light of the Cam part.... But, sorry, Sketch is for me.

I came to Sketch from 16 bit 2d Ashlar. The ONLY thing Sketch is missing here (when coupled to Sensiva), is an "Auto Ortho" method. You DO have to use a single key command (or button) to Constrain to
Horizontal or Vertical.

It'd be a "Killer" if someone threw in a Cam module for 2.5D work. But, don't hold your breath.

Chris L

Discussion Thread

Larry Edinger 2002-12-06 16:56:48 UTC Re, AutoSketch Chris L 2002-12-06 17:36:37 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re, AutoSketch Tony Jeffree 2002-12-07 11:38:14 UTC Re: Re, AutoSketch