CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: More transformer drivel

on 2002-12-08 00:14:19 UTC
Heres an old post that shows the calculations for cap sizing

"turbulatordude <davemucha@j...>" <davemucha@j...>
Date: Sun Dec 8, 2002 6:27 am
Subject: Re: Power supply questions

Hi Tom,

The calculation for Cap's is

C= ((80,000 * I) / V)
C is the value in microfarads.
I is the current.
V is the voltage

You can wire caps in parallel so that is not a problem.
No need to get them rated for 75 V if you will run at 30 volt.
50volt would be fine and less costly.

Personally, I find caps to be cheap enough to use enough for the
calculation plus rounding up to the next range.

Sorry I didnt keep the message number but you could find the thread from the date.

Bob Thomas

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, Chris L <datac@l...> wrote:
> With everyone out chasing really large capacitors for their Power
> supplys, How is it that the MicroK 36volt units have really small caps ??
>
> What would they be missing by not having large caps, or how better would
> things operate with large caps ??
>
> Here is a link to the PWR36 units:http://www.microkinetics.com/pwr36.htm
>
> Just curious as I use a Driverack with three of these in it now. I am
> going to replace them on one machine, with the new Setup I'm going to
> make out of the toroids I've been testing.
>
> I Sure look forward to the differences between a 36v system and the
> Projected 62 volts Bob Indicated I'm going to have.
>
> Anyone ever up their voltage like this ? Care to comment on how
> "different" the machine ran ??
>
> Thanks,
> Chris L

Discussion Thread

Chris L 2002-12-07 21:18:29 UTC More transformer drivel Tim Goldstein 2002-12-07 21:34:47 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] More transformer drivel Chris L 2002-12-07 21:44:17 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] More transformer drivel echnidna <echnidna@y... 2002-12-08 00:14:19 UTC Re: More transformer drivel turbulatordude <davemucha@j... 2002-12-08 07:58:56 UTC transformer power sizing( was Re: More transformer drivel JanRwl@A... 2002-12-08 12:19:58 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] transformer power sizing( was Re: More transformer drivel