CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Stupid Newbie Tricks

WDSmith wrote:

>OK, I know you guys have nothing better to do than answer stupid questions so here goes.... I have searched the files (and the rest of the internet) in quest of some info on the old Amtek/Lamb Electric 50 volt DC motors used in the old tape drives. I have a couple of them and hate to let them languish when I have plenty of places to use them.... But, I need to have some idea of what they will do and what kind of power they need to do it.
>
>Can anybody help? I recall they were mentioned several months ago but can't find anything now.
>Label numbers available on request. Reply off-list to mediasmith@... if you want to minimize list clutter.

No, this is actually ON topic for a change. These motors are probably
quite good for most purposes.
They had a little higher armature resistance than I thought was a good
idea for commercial use on
a Bridgeport Series-I size machine, but will almost certainly work fine
in hobby use even on that
size of machine. These motors were wound for low RPM, high torque use,
which is a bit rare
in servo motors, but ideal for CNC'ing milling machines and lathes.

I think some people have used these with Gecko servo drives with good
results. You could also use them
with Westamp, Servo Dynamics or Copley Controls servo amps, and an
analog-out servo interface
board like the Servo-to-Go or my PPMC board set.

What sort of machine are you planning to use them on?

WDSmith 2002-12-09 16:05:43 UTC Stupid Newbie Tricks Jon Elson 2002-12-09 22:57:06 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Stupid Newbie Tricks Dan Mauch 2002-12-10 06:53:50 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Stupid Newbie Tricks Bill Higdon 2002-12-10 08:08:04 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Stupid Newbie Tricks William Scalione 2002-12-10 08:51:33 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Stupid Newbie Tricks Bill Higdon 2002-12-10 12:01:52 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Stupid Newbie Tricks Jon Elson 2002-12-10 22:50:38 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Stupid Newbie Tricks