CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Remove Balancers?

on 2002-12-10 22:08:19 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, Jon Elson <elson@p...> wrote:

> John Mesh wrote:
>
> >We have Thermwood router with NEMA 42 step motors.
> >These were full stepped with the old control, the motors have
> >balancers on them (mid-band resonance?). Should I remove
> >the balancers with a micro-step drive(Anaheim) for faster
> >accleration?
> >

> These are probably viscous dampers. Are they a sealed chamber?
>
> I doubt you will find much difference in acceleration with or
without them.
> In general, the rotational inertia of these dampers is much less
than
> the motor's
> own inertia, much less the machine to be moved. They may be
redundant
> with an
> advanced microstepping drive, however. But, if you have any
problems with
> rattling or lost steps, put them back in.
>
> Jon

Thanks, Jon & crew.
Actually, haven't run the machine on any parts yet. just trying to
keep the weight & inertia down. Never, hurts to check with
the "experts". You are right it is a viscous damper and they are
sealed with a plug, I believe Thermwood used a lot of these in the
early days (1984). Using CNC Pro, on a straight DOS box, running at
233 Mhz. Able to get about 500 ipm on rapids. I hope Doug always
stays with DOS. I like the idea of the PC acting more
like a "real" control, when it boots, instead of all Windows'
baggage....

This board has been a great help to me in retro-fitting this machine.

-J. Mesh

Discussion Thread

John Mesh <jmesh@h... 2002-12-10 01:42:40 UTC Remove Balancers? bjammin@i... 2002-12-10 05:14:23 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Remove Balancers? Jon Elson 2002-12-10 10:08:54 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Remove Balancers? John Mesh <jmesh@h... 2002-12-10 22:08:19 UTC Re: Remove Balancers? JanRwl@A... 2002-12-10 22:24:06 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Remove Balancers?