CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Stepper current - how bad is underdriving a motor?

on 2002-12-23 10:56:04 UTC
Hello Tony,

OK, now I've read both 50% and 71.5% from the newsgroup here.
Still there are some issues that I would like clarified if you will.

John said,
>840 oz-in,
>1.45V
>15.2amps !!
>It is six wire. So full coil turns it into a 2.90V, 7.6A motor.
>That's almost perfect. With a 48V supply, I'll have 16.5x voltage,
>so I should get good high speed performance, and 7A into a 7.6A
>motor will deliver nearly full torque.

The book I have says this would turn into a 21.49 Amp, 2.05 Volt
motor when run in bipolar series. John is appently doubling the
voltage and halving the current in his calculation above. This seems
as if it would be fine if the above motor rating was for bipolar
parallel, but the rating shown would be unipolar as it is a 6 wire
motor.

You seem to be in agreement with John that at 7 amps, running the
motor in bipolar series mode, he is going to get nearly full torque
rating. How do you figure this? I came up with about 65% full
rating.

I appreciate any and all comments as I consider this to be not only
a "newsgroup", but an "eductationgroup" as well (as long as Mom
doesn't say it's OT).

Thanks,

Jeff

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, Tony Jeffree <tony@j...>

Discussion Thread

Tony Jeffree 2002-12-23 03:25:05 UTC Re: Stepper current - how bad is underdriving a motor? jeffalanp <xylotex@h... 2002-12-23 10:56:04 UTC Re: Stepper current - how bad is underdriving a motor? Mariss Freimanis <mariss92705@y... 2002-12-23 16:49:11 UTC Re: Stepper current - how bad is underdriving a motor? sconkworks <cpscott1@b... 2002-12-23 18:14:09 UTC Re: Stepper current - how bad is underdriving a motor? Mariss Freimanis <mariss92705@y... 2002-12-23 20:10:50 UTC Re: Stepper current - how bad is underdriving a motor?