CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Stepper current - how bad is underdriving a motor?

on 2002-12-23 18:14:09 UTC
Mariss,

Perhaps you could clarify something for me.

In your examples of unipolar and series, if I follow your advice and
use half the unipolar current in series, do I have the same or less
torque created?

Thanks
Scott

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "Mariss Freimanis
<mariss92705@y...>" <mariss92705@y...> wrote:
> [...]
current,
> all dipoles will be lined up. Increasing the current further will
> have no additional effect because 100% of the dipoles have lined
up.
> This is magnetic saturation.
>
> Most round step motors have about 85% of the dipoles lined up when
> the motor is running at its unipolar rating. Going to its parallel
> current rating of 141% certainly exceeds the level where all
dipoles
> are lined up. The result is a non-linear motor having distortion
much
> the same way an overdriven audio amplifier would be distorted!
>
> So use the motor's unipolar current rating even if it is connected
in
> parallel, half that amount when series connected for best
> microstepping performance.
>
> Mariss
>

> --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "jeffalanp <xylotex@h...>"
> <xylotex@h...> wrote:
> > Hello Tony,
> >
> > OK, now I've read both 50% and 71.5% from the newsgroup here.
> > Still there are some issues that I would like clarified if you
will.

> > John said,
> > >840 oz-in,
> > >1.45V
> > >15.2amps !!
> > >It is six wire. So full coil turns it into a 2.90V, 7.6A
motor.
> > >That's almost perfect. With a 48V supply, I'll have 16.5x
> voltage,
> > >so I should get good high speed performance, and 7A into a 7.6A
> > >motor will deliver nearly full torque.
> >
> > The book I have says this would turn into a 21.49 Amp, 2.05 Volt
> > motor when run in bipolar series. John is appently doubling the
> > voltage and halving the current in his calculation above. This
> seems
> > as if it would be fine if the above motor rating was for bipolar
> > parallel, but the rating shown would be unipolar as it is a 6
wire
> > motor.
> >
> > You seem to be in agreement with John that at 7 amps, running the
> > motor in bipolar series mode, he is going to get nearly full
torque
> > rating. How do you figure this? I came up with about 65% full
> > rating.
> >
> > I appreciate any and all comments as I consider this to be not
only
> > a "newsgroup", but an "eductationgroup" as well (as long as Mom
> > doesn't say it's OT).
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Jeff
> >

> > --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, Tony Jeffree <tony@j...>
> > wrote:
> > > Jeff -
> > >
> > > As Mariss keeps telling us, derating by 71.5% is not a great
idea
> > with
> > > microstepping, as you tend to get bunching of the microsteps.
So
> > half the
> > > current is probably the right answer here.
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > Tony

> use
> derate
> > 10.87
> another

> <tony@j...>

> > > Regards,
> > > Tony

Discussion Thread

Tony Jeffree 2002-12-23 03:25:05 UTC Re: Stepper current - how bad is underdriving a motor? jeffalanp <xylotex@h... 2002-12-23 10:56:04 UTC Re: Stepper current - how bad is underdriving a motor? Mariss Freimanis <mariss92705@y... 2002-12-23 16:49:11 UTC Re: Stepper current - how bad is underdriving a motor? sconkworks <cpscott1@b... 2002-12-23 18:14:09 UTC Re: Stepper current - how bad is underdriving a motor? Mariss Freimanis <mariss92705@y... 2002-12-23 20:10:50 UTC Re: Stepper current - how bad is underdriving a motor?