CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Asian Machines

Posted by Marcus & Eva
on 2002-12-31 15:25:04 UTC
Hi All:
Although this may be drifting OT, it has relevance for those
contemplating using an Asian machine as a base for a CNC retrofit.
Not all Asian tools are created equal!!!
Taiwanese equipment is getting generally pretty good...slightly better even
than eastern European iron, at least for fit and finish.
Korean stuff is coming up in quality too...(remember the Hyundai??)
The really crappy stuff is currently coming from India, Pakistan, and
mainland China.
That's where the Harbour Fright guys get their deals.
There will come a time when the low grade Asian stuff does an incremental
jump in quality, but they'll still be hamstrung by their poor reputation.
This happened with Japanese stuff in the 60's.
It happened again with Taiwanese stuff in the mid 1980's.

If you can live with the rude and crude fit and finish (that's where the
machine builders traditionally scrimp to save money), the time to buy will
be when that incremental jump in basic machine quality occurs, and I'll
betcha it's going to be soon.

If it was me laying down my cash, I'd follow these simple rules:
-Never commit to buy a low end Asian machine without a Hands-On
inspection...and make it a thorough one. If you don't know how...get a buddy
who does!
-Even when the castings look identical, the machines ain't...not by a LONG
shot!!! Don't be fooled!!
-Taiwanese gear can be bought with a bit more confidence, as can Eastern
European.
-American, Japanese, and Western European stuff can be bought straight from
a catalogue with pretty good confidence.

Hope this helps someone

Cheers

Marcus