CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Fuse Ratings for Drive protection

on 2003-01-02 09:57:19 UTC
I seem to recall that the theoretical method of determining fuse size is double the rated load current. Using lower rated fuses means they are inclined to run hot and this oxidises the tin plating on the wire so the fuse life is shortened, sometimes to the point of unreliability.

A short in the system will easily blow a fuse thats twice the rated load current.

Regards
Bob Thomas

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "jeffalanp <xylotex@h...>" <xylotex@h...> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Thanks for all the help on Three Phase etc. I have a new question
> regarding protecting motor drives with fuses (stepper or servo). How
> does one decide on the proper rating for a fuse? (max current then up
> to next standard fuse level)? How does one figure in the voltage
> rating of the fuse along with the amp rating of the fuse, i.e. if I
> have a max of 3.5Amps at 24-28 Volts, what size fuse should I use?
>
> I'll give "Thanks in Advance" now so I don't clutter up the
> archives with a separate thanks in the future.
>
> Jeff
> http://www.xylotex.com

Discussion Thread

jeffalanp <xylotex@h... 2003-01-01 10:07:21 UTC Fuse Ratings for Drive protection Peter Seddon 2003-01-02 09:53:09 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Fuse Ratings for Drive protection echnidna <echnidna@y... 2003-01-02 09:57:19 UTC Re: Fuse Ratings for Drive protection