CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: CAM in polar format

Posted by Ray Henry
on 2000-02-15 06:42:04 UTC
Jay

There are some polar coordinate computation routines in the about to be
released emc backplotter 2.0.0. They are incremental and are used to plot
the A,B,C axis and the 3D view. Paul Corner wrote them in Tcl.

EMC Backplot only runs on emc but you might be able to extract the routines
and use them. Let me know if you want to try it.

Ray

>Message: 1 [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Digest Number 363
> Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2000 08:54:27 -0500
> From: "Fred Smith" <imserv@...>
>Subject: Re: CAM in Polar format
>

>> From: Jay Hayes <xmas4lites@...>
>>
>> I need to convert a simple 2D .dxf CAD drawing of a tool path to a
>> machine code in a Polar format, of the Vector distance and relative
>> angular Direction. I can manually write the code or manually extrapolate
>> the information from the verification functions in Bobcad, but i'm
>> looking to generate a post processed code automatically.
>>

>Tell us a little more Jay. It's not clear if you want to actually program
>in Polar coordinates, meaning R-Theta type annotation, or something else.
>What are you trying to program, what machine/control, are you sure you want
>Relative angular direction or Absolute? What is your orientation to the
>axes? Bobcad 17 has some very limited rotary translation capabilities and
>may be able to get the answers you need.
>

>Best Regards,
>
>Fred Smith
>IMService
>
>imserv@...
>Phone: 248-486-3600 or 800-386-1670
>Fax:248-486-3698

____
____

>Message: 2
> Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2000 08:56:40 -0500
> From: Joe Vicars <jvicars@...>
>Subject: Display problems with old laptops
>
> I am in the process of trying to pick a software controller. I
>downloaded all the demos I could find, but was dissapointed when I
>couldn't get DeskNC up on my older 486/386 laptops.
> Does anyone know how to make DeskNC VGA compatible?
> I read alot about CNCpro on here as well, how do they compare? The
>problem is that I can't hardly get Mr. Yeager's demo configured before
>it times out on me. It's really hard to tell how it's going to work.
> Any help?

____
____

>Message: 3
> Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2000 08:19:43 -0600
> From: hansw <hansw@...>
>Subject: Re: Display problems with old laptops
>
>Joe,
>
>Joe Vicars wrote:
>
>> problem is that I can't hardly get Mr. Yeager's demo configured before
>> it times out on me. It's really hard to tell how it's going to work.
>>

>I agree Doug could have made the demo a little more friendly, and perhaps
more people would buy it ( hint ! I hope Doug is is
>reading this)
>
>I seem to remembering trying DeskNC (I think) at the time I still had the
crappie MAXNC controller and the configuration menu
>was
>screwed up, it never worked for me.
>
>That's when I decided to go Step/Direction and ended up buying CNCPro
because the was the easiest interface ti handle.

> [...]
>program.
>I got up to the MaxNC version that had radius comp, and it often made
>some really
>strange moves while calling an offset.
>My dad machines some highly abrasive stuff for a customer, on a Sherline
>I CNC'd
>for him. Radius comp is a must, to account for cutter wear and maintain
>tolerances.
>It's way too much of a pain generating 4-6 seperate G-code files with
>differing offset
>tool paths, then keeping track of them all.
>I'd have liked to try his program, but I do understand where he's coming
>from.
>Lots of folks window shop and never buy, he's concentrating on
>supporting those
>that support him. That means he'll inplement radius comp sooner if
>CNCPro users
>start asking for it, over non-users.
>
>Jon

____
____

>Message: 8
> Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2000 11:47:07 EST
> From: WAnliker@...
>Subject: Re: Re: CNCPro
>
>In a message dated 2/14/00 9:15:14 AM Mountain Standard Time,
>janders@... writes:
>
><< That means he'll inplement radius comp sooner if
> CNCPro users
> start asking for it, over non-users.
> >>

>But a lot of no-users will stay that way, until the program has radius
>compensation.
>The way to sell more programs is to have the features that will fill
>non-users needs, then they will buy. Why would a non-user buy on the hopes
>that someday the author MIGHT add the desired features?
>bill

____
____

>Message: 9
> Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2000 11:54:58 -0600
> From: Dan Falck <dfalck@...>
>Subject: Re: Re: CNCPro
>
>EMC has cutter comping.
>
>Dan
>

>At 09:32 AM 2/14/2000 , you wrote:
>>From: Roger Brower <rbrower@...>
>>
>>Jon Anderson Wrote:
>>Snip...radius comp at that time wasn't
>>as high on the list...
>>
>>Yeah, I'd love to have radius
>>compensation in the controller, but
>>that's apparently pretty hard to do,
>>programming wise, with the lookahead
>>function and all.
>>I could be to blame! I probably told
>>Doug I'd do that in the CAM step; Ahha
>>has it? Does EMC do radius comp?
>>reliably? Anybody know how to program
>>it? If we can give Doug something
>>useful, I suspect he'd try to use it.

____
____

>Message: 10
> Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2000 13:13:02 -0500
> From: Jay Hayes <xmas4lites@...>
>Subject: Re: CAM in Polar format
>
>Fred, what I'm trying to do is take a CAD drawing and create code that
will output the length of the vector to one axis and the
>relitive change in angle between that vector and the next vector in the
chain to the second axis. Both axis will definately be
>incrimental moves.
>
>Jay Hayes
>Weston,WV
>
>Fred Smith wrote:
>
>> From: "Fred Smith" <imserv@...>
>>
>> > From: Jay Hayes <xmas4lites@...>
>> >
>> > I need to convert a simple 2D .dxf CAD drawing of a tool path to a
>> > machine code in a Polar format, of the Vector distance and relative
>> > angular Direction. I can manually write the code or manually extrapolate
>> > the information from the verification functions in Bobcad, but i'm
>> > looking to generate a post processed code automatically.
>> >

>> Tell us a little more Jay. It's not clear if you want to actually program
>> in Polar coordinates, meaning R-Theta type annotation, or something else.
>> What are you trying to program, what machine/control, are you sure you want
>> Relative angular direction or Absolute? What is your orientation to the
>> axes? Bobcad 17 has some very limited rotary translation capabilities and
>> may be able to get the answers you need.
>>
>> Best Regards,
>>
>> Fred Smith
>> IMService
>>
>> imserv@...
>> Phone: 248-486-3600 or 800-386-1670
>> Fax:248-486-3698

>> GET A NEXTCARD VISA, in 30 seconds. Get rates as low as 2.9 percent
>> Intro or 9.9 percent Fixed APR and no hidden fees. Apply NOW.
Here</a>

> [...]
>income, want as much as I can get for the dollars spent. Unfortunately
>Linux/EMC, has a bit more learning curve just trying to get it up and
running
>than I am able to handle with no programming experience. Linux, can
probably
>become a very great operating system, but not until it can be put into
>operation, with a lot more ease than it is now able to, at least for an
>individual that does not program.
>thanks for your comments,
>bill

____
____

>Message: 18
> Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2000 16:31:12 -0600
> From: Jon Elson <jmelson@...>
>Subject: Re: Re: CNCPro
>

>Darrell wrote:
>
>> From: "Darrell" <dgehlsen@...>

>> > Absolutely! It works in all movement modes except G00, which
>> > sort of makes sense.
>>
>> Do you mean that if you turn on say G41 with a G00 move that you then
>> have
>> to do a feed move before the tool is properly offset?
>> With AHHA, the tool is offset with a G00 G41 X Y move so you are ready
>> plunge.
>
>No, I ran into this just this weekend. You get an error message that
>says
>rapid moves are not permitted with cutter diameter compensation active,
>or
>something of that nature. Not a big deal, you generally wouldn't want
>to do
>rapid feeds with diameter comp on, anyway. I hit the error because I
>had a
>G00 by accident as the move where the diameter comp was to be
>interpolated
>in. The first move when diameter comp is activated interpolates the
>compensation
>in gradually over the length of the move. My Allen-Bradley CNC did the
>same,
>so I think that is the normal mode.
>
>I generally plunge to depth BEFORE I activate the diameter comp, so that
>the
>tool plunges when NOT in contact with the work.
>
>This is totally different behavior than how the tool length offset works
>(that's
>G43, I think). With the length offset, it just fully activates the
>offset immediately
>on the first Z move.
>
>Jon

____
____

>Message: 19
> Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2000 16:14:44 -0600
> From: hansw <hansw@...>
>Subject: Re: Re: CNCPro
>
>Bill,
>Well said.
>
>The main complaint I have heard about CNCPro is lack of "radius comp".
>I think you should ask yourself, how much will you use it.
>
>Myself, I think I can say never. If a tool needs sharpening, I don't have
the equipment to sharpen it, so I would
>never have the need to compensate.
>
>If I needed to use a tool that was different from the one planned. Well I
will simply redo the files to match the tool I do
>have.
>Which compensates very well for radius variations ! Becasue I car does not
have a GPS built in does not mean I can't use
>it, maps are wonderful things.
>
>As to Linux and EMC. Well I am a programmer, and must say this forum has
been an eye opener about the mess Linux is in.

>Sure people manage to get it working, but the messages clearly show Linux
is not for the faint of heart.

>I have a kind offer from someone to set up a drive with Linux, but I'm
more and more inclined to forget it. I simply don't have

>the time, or want the hassles of it.
>
>CNCPro has other features I think EMC does not have at the moment, and may
or may not have. At least CNCPro is supported by
> [...]
>out.
>
>It is very easy to control turning on and off of cutter comp, by using the
>approach and depart function. This generates a teardrop shaped construction
>that allows a beginning straight move during which you turn cutter comp on,
>and a corresponding straight ending move, during which you turn cutter comp
>off. Bobcad allows you to do this manually, and Vector automates the
>process.
>

>Best Regards,
>
>Fred Smith
>IMService
>
>imserv@...
>Phone: 248-486-3600 or 800-386-1670
>Fax:248-486-3698

____
____

>Message: 23
> Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2000 00:39:20 -0600
> From: Jon Elson <jmelson@...>
>Subject: Re: Re: CNCPro
>

>Fred Smith wrote:
>
>> From: "Fred Smith" <imserv@...>
>>

>> > Myself, I think I can say never. If a tool needs sharpening, I don't
>> have
>> the equipment to sharpen it, so I would
>> > never have the need to compensate.
>> >
>> never say never ;-)
>>
>> The main reason for cutter comp is not tool wear & the use of tooling
>> that
>> is different from that which was used in the program. The primary
>> reason is
>> to hold tight tolerances. If for instance you had to mill a slot that
>> had a
>> +/-.002 inch tolerance. You would be able to cut this by programming
>> with
>> offset curves in a Bobcad or Vector type of application. The usual
>> way
>> would be to program the offset curve just larger than the tool radius,
>>
>> measure the resulting size, then *reprogram* the part with the
>> difference
>> between the desired size & that actually cut. The reprogramming would
>>
>> involve drawing another offset curve & regenerating the portion of the
>>
>> program involved with the slot.
>
>Right, you can compensate for tool deflection. I also find that cut
>rate
>end mills are not exactly on size. Many of them vary up to -.003" or
>so. Another reason I use it is to make one program, either manually or
>with a CAD/CAM package, and use it both for roughing and finishing
>the part. I enter a cutter diameter larger than the actual tool size,
>which
>causes the CNC control to offset the tool farther from the part than the
>
>radius of the actual tool. This makes the roughing cut, leaving maybe
>.010" on the side of the part. Then, I make several passes, stepping
>the
>depth down each time. Finally, I set the tool table to the actual size
>of the tool, and run the program again, milling the sides to the exact

Discussion Thread

Ray Henry 2000-02-15 06:42:04 UTC Re: CAM in polar format