CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Transformers for CNC power supply and connections

on 2003-01-08 10:53:22 UTC
Hi Jerry,

You most certainly can parallel and series transformers. They should be
identical, 'tho. I'd parallel first, THEN series them. I have a pile
of similar transformers!

An EE student? What DO they teach 'em?

Alan KM6VV

"fozzyber " wrote:

> Well I type a big long post and it looks like yahoo eat it so here it
> is again.
>
> I need to make a power supply I would like an out put of50Vdc - 80 Vdc
> and 8-15 amps.
> Someone on this list e-mailed me and said to wire 2 of these in
> series:
> http://www.mpja.com/product.asp?product=7846+TR
> 24Vac 10 amps. in series that would be 48Vac * 1.414 =67.8 Vdc.
> A EE student I work with told me I could not wire transformers in
> series. (but I don't think he is correct or very bright)
> Can I wire the outputs of transformers in series to double the
> voltage? Can I run them in Parallel to double their amprage?
> If so I should be able to buy 4 of these 25V / 7.5 amp transformers.
> http://www.sciplus.com/singleItem.cfm?terms=2294&cartLogFrom=Search
> Build 2 sets that are in series, so I would have 2 50Vac 7.5amp
> transformers then wire the 2 sets in Parallel to get 50Vac 15 amps.
> when I rectify that (50Vac * 1.414= 70.7 Vdc @15 amps)
> Is this correct /acceptable?
> I guess it would look like this"
> <SNIP>
> Jerry

Discussion Thread

fozzyber <jerry@o... 2003-01-08 09:27:12 UTC Transformers for CNC power supply and connections Alan Marconett KM6VV 2003-01-08 10:53:22 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Transformers for CNC power supply and connections mayfieldtm <mayfiet@i... 2003-01-08 12:24:58 UTC Re: Transformers for CNC power supply and connections